Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2011-2012

Do you know how many of those 575 candidates that have been offered interviews are from the English stream, French stream and CNFS stream?

I was told during the information session that they got 3669 applications and they has 164 (116 + 40 +8) seat. But where did you find the information that they were going to interview 575 candidates?

The Admissions Committee will review 3,669 applications this year for the 164 positions available and will interview approximately 575 candidates.

Do you know how many of those 575 candidates that have been offered interviews are from the English stream, French stream and CNFS stream?

I was told during the information session that they got 3669 applications and they has 164 (116 + 40 +8) seat. But where did you find the information that they were going to interview 575 candidates?

Thats what it was like last year. Sounds like an accurate number to me. However, last year I think they interviewed 590 ish in total.

Why does that happen? Is it because they realize they have rejected so many candidates that they are going to end up interviewing less than 590 candidates, so they un-reject candidates to make the total interviewee count 590?

Yes, very. It happened last year to several people.

We were told at the information session (correct me if I am wrong) that in the incoming class of 2016 the English stream would have 116 seats (71%), the French stream would 40 seats (24%) and the CNFS would have have 8 seats (5%). Does anyone know whether the interview spots are in the same proportion as the actual seats? Or do they interview proportionally more candidates for the French stream, just because there are so few Francophone medical programs in Canada?

People get into school in the Maritimes or decide to go to the States, so they cancel their interview. That is why Mac has an interview waitlist. Other schools don't have an official waitlist, so they end up un-rejecting people instead.

See the UOttawa thread from last year:

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50269

From that thread, it looks like it was towards the end of the month - so maybe next week there will be some offers.

Do you know how this works? Do they offer the spot as soon as it becomes available or do they wait and see how many cancellations they have and make a batch of invites. I had actually not known about this until now - this is intriguing!

Archived