Premed 101 Forums

Ottawa Interview Discussion 2011-2012

Thought I might follow the format of the other forums and open a discussion thread to keep the stats one tidy!

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! Sorry for those who did not. But don't give up. Try again next year or wait to hear back from other schools!

For those who did, when are you interviewing? I noticed people who posted interview at dates are all being interviewed on a weekday. I'm invited for the 19th which is a Monday.

And is anyone else's email cut off at the one edge?

Hi KCA,

I also had an e-mail cut off on the left side. Additionally it refers to an attached appendix which I have not seen (perhaps it is in the snail mail?). Congrats on your interview!

Hey! Thanks congrats to you too!

If you copy and paste you should be able to see the full email. So it's a weird formatting problem? It is still cut off even if I read it on the computer.

I don't see the appendix either. Perhaps it will be sent in the later emails that we are expecting which they said there will be attachments?

No. If I remember correctly, you get an interview score in one of 4 categories (High to low). Individuals are then granted acceptance based on interview score, and each score level is ranked based on GPA. For example, someone with a 4.00 GPA who was given a medium-high rank at the interview will be at the top of the medium-high group, but someone with a 3.9 GPA in the high interview rank group will have priority.

Just curious... I have an interview late in March (the 30th). Does this disadvantage me? Are those who get interviews earlier more likely to get in? does anybody know?

No. If I remember correctly, you get an interview score in one of 4 categories (High to low). Individuals are then granted acceptance based on interview score, and each score level is ranked based on GPA. For example, someone with a 4.00 GPA who was given a medium-high rank at the interview will be at the top of the medium-high group, but someone with a 3.9 GPA in the high interview rank group will have priority.

Thanks for the info :D

Hey everyone,

To those of you who got invites (or those who are in-the-know) where can I get more info about the U of Ottawa interview process? the style (panel i believe? do they just ask you about your ABS or are ethics scenarios thrown in), how to prepare, etc. This is my first ever med interview so i'm a rookie!

Any help would be awesome :)

Hey everyone,

To those of you who got invites (or those who are in-the-know) where can I get more info about the U of Ottawa interview process? the style (panel i believe? do they just ask you about your ABS or are ethics scenarios thrown in), how to prepare, etc. This is my first ever med interview so i'm a rookie!

Any help would be awesome :)

It's a 3 panel interview (doctor, community member, 4th year medical student).

In terms of what you'll be asked about, it can vary quite a bit depending on the interviewers/interviewee. Expect to be asked about you as a person, your experiences and your opinions (ethical or otherwise).

In terms of preparation, there will be mock interviews held by current UofO medical students (I'll be doing a couple of days of these) that many people in the past have said are helpful. Also, there are bunch of websites that you can google that have med-interview sample questions from various medschools around the world. Those questions obviously won't be entirely what your asked in your interview, but I found them useful in preparing for my interview.

Good luck!

Awesome, thank you so much!

I'm new to this blog and I have to say, the support everyone gives each other blows me away. You're all completely undermining the competitive stereotypes associated with premed/med students. It's people like you who I hope to have as a physician one day.

keep up the amazing work

Great practice opportunity! Check the other forum thread under University of Ottawa for the Mock Interviews. A school official has posted the dates and times for the mock interviews. I e-mailed him about Skype interviews for out of Ottawa applicants (I think I remember him mentioning earlier that these are valid). Also asked about MMI interviews, might come in handy for any upcoming MMIs! Fingers crossed.

They will probably send you an email with more information but throughout the day there will be tours of the school given as well as Q&A sessions. These are of course optional, but I would recommend going to learn more about the school and talk to medical students.

When I went for my interview I just stayed for the day, but I think you do have to be at least 45 minutes early to register.

Archived