Premed 101 Forums

University of Toronto Life Science?

sassychic

I meant that you are able to be successful with hard work because you have the base (intelligence) to build upon using work.

How would you explain the number of people I know who work harder than a lot of others, yet don't even get close to their marks?

And I don't buy the one time IQ score of 90 thing... I knew 2 people, one who got 95 and another who got 110. The 95 girl was much much smarter in every sense than the 110 girl, (in real life, in every class). Point? An IQ test can be next to meaningless in many cases.

What do you mean smarter in every sense? That's just, like, your opinion man. Maybe you're not judging the hard-workers you know well enough.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What do you mean smarter in every sense? That's just, like, your opinion man. Maybe you're not judging the hard-workers you know well enough.

One person constantly says dumb things + does horrible in school while trying a bit here and there.

Other person says wiser things + does pretty good in school compared to the other person with the same effort.

I don't think there's any real debate.

One person constantly says dumb things + does horrible in school while trying a bit here and there.

Other person says wiser things + does pretty good in school compared to the other person with the same effort.

Sure there is

The debate is how you read into a person's internal state & intellectual ability from what you see. For all you know, your intuitions could be wrong. Not that I'm espousing any sort of test worship here, as IQ tests are far from perfect.

How do you know they are putting in the same effort? Do you monitor your test subjects 24/7? How do you even know that their IQ scores are accurate? Did you administer the test and ensure there were no extenuating circumstances? Did they both take the same test?

How do you know they are putting in the same effort? Do you monitor your test subjects 24/7? How do you even know that their IQ scores are accurate? Did you administer the test and ensure there were no extenuating circumstances? Did they both take the same test?

And that's my point, the IQ tests may have not been accurate. I've also seen some people with higher IQs than me apparently who do worse in school given relatively the same effort.

And generally, you can tell by seeing how much a person pays attention, etc.

Speculating upon things which have a small chance vs. things which have a large chance of being true isn't wise.

So any thoughts regarding the original question?

Hey, there were a few posts before it got off topic, it's obviously pretty subjective, but in general I found a trend in people saying that it is not impossible to do good at UofT (assuming a really good work ethic) and it is dependent on your program and professors; also I'd double check Mcauder's post as he went to both UofT and York and I thought that he gave some pretty solid advice :) as for your average and getting into UofT, I think you have a pretty good shot

Either i went to a very tough high school or you went to an extremely easy one. We had a huge gifted program (must score 98th percentile and above to get in), and in our classes (both in the gifted program and out) would land you a 65 at best if all you did was not sleep. 80s had to be worked for and 90s were very hard to get. And this was in a school with 2200 kids. By hey, everyone from my class is doing well in uni now :)

I was in gifted too....

My, this thread got derailed mighty fast.

So any thoughts regarding the original question?

idn if it's been posted before but, looking at your marks, it kind of looks like you're better at arts/social sciences. i'm just curious as to why you want to do life sciences?

i'll add, though, that the courses you took like calc and chem and bio can be pretty difficult, so lower marks in those courses is understandable. also, i don't mean to suggest that marks correlate to interest in the subject, although it's not uncommon to find someone who gets good marks in a course they like?

so, like, i'm just trying to see if that's something you thought about? are you in fact good at those subjects because you like them, and have lower marks in the other classes because you don't like them as much? again: not suggesting anything, just wondering/trying to promote "critical thinking" (LOL).

Thank you futurepeds for the thread reference. Am thoroughly entertained.

GO TO YORK PSYCHOLOGY!!!!! If you have half a brain (read: an IQ higher than that of a shrub), you will get a 3.8.

Someone is taking intro psych...

I gotta say though, I wonder what area the participants lived in. The quality of life of someone making 75K would be quite different in, say Kingston than in Toronto.

:D

Um...I didn't know muse blocked medigeek. That's too bad. Muse's responses kill me.

Isn't Richmond Hill all asians?? :confused:

Hahahah glad you enjoyed it:p

Do you mean Markham? Though quite a few Asians have been coming from Markham to Richmond Hill

Hahahah glad you enjoyed it:p

Do you mean Markham? Though quite a few Asians have been coming from Markham to Richmond Hill

There's a fairly high number of persians in york region overall vs. a lot less in other area around the gta. That's kinda why I thought why richmond hill was mentioned, cause I never mentioned it before in my posts. :)

There's a fairly high number of persians in york region overall vs. a lot less in other area around the gta. That's kinda why I thought why richmond hill was mentioned, cause I never mentioned it before in my posts. :)

I was talking about people not just doctors. My post did not imply that. Toronto/gta is saturated in just about every profession (aside from a rare few, with FM basically the only healthcare job that's in demand), simply due to more people wanting to live here. I mean let's face it, would you rather be in richmond hill or in a town 100km west of edmonton?

Wouldn't that count as 'mentioning it in your post' I know you didn't say you live there, I just thought that there might be a possibility sinc eyou specifically pointed Richmond Hill out, instead of just saying Toronto

Wouldn't that count as 'mentioning it in your post' I know you didn't say you live there, I just thought that there might be a possibility sinc eyou specifically pointed Richmond Hill out, instead of just saying Toronto

hmm? this was after you mentioned it first.

and i dont live in toronto.

Archived