Premed 101 Forums

NSERC Vs. Paid Summer Research Position?

Choose NSERC

There are plenty of medically related projects in chemistry such as bioorganic and bioinorganic chemistry, drug design and enzymatics. Secondly your research does not have to be medically related. I believe Medical schools like a wide range of applicants with different focuses, remember it does not matter what type of degree you had but that you excelled in it.

In regards to publication you will most likely not get one out of 3.5 months of work. If you do you will be third or 4th author. However during your honours thesis it is very possible to do enough work to get a publication

You will work with a grad student regardless of the situation. You will report to the graduate student and if the professor has time you will meet with them weekly.

A professor reference is better than a post doc. Remember your professor was a post doc too, they are past that stage in their career

very rarely in basic science research do you work directly with the prof. It is usually with the post-doc, grad students, etc. in terms of status, the post-doc is nowhere near the level of the prof or PI. The post-doc works IN the PI's lab for additional training.

very rarely in basic science research do you work directly with the prof. It is usually with the post-doc, grad students, etc. in terms of status, the post-doc is nowhere near the level of the prof or PI. The post-doc works IN the PI's lab for additional training.

So will I not likely be working directly with the professor with NSERC? If not, then I can't get professor's LOR for either case?

I wanted to make it clear that the PI's for both positions are professors. BUT for the paid research, they told me that I would be working directly with the post-doc while I don't know for NSERC...

So will I not likely be working directly with the professor with NSERC? If not, then I can't get professor's LOR for either case?

I wanted to make it clear that the PI's for both positions are professors. BUT for the paid research, they told me that I would be working directly with the post-doc while I don't know for NSERC...

Your letter won't be written by the PI anyways, so you'll have to develop a good relationship with whomever you are directly working under.

You should also be doing research out of interest....and not solely to get it on your resume and to get a letter. But hey, what do I know?

Archived