Premed 101 Forums

HOW MANY?

Guest MDBOND1

Guest MDBOND1

Hi,

I just wanted to know how many people who have taken only 4.5 courses in one of the years have actually got an interview/acceptance(and when)....i.e how bad does having a 4.5 in one year look?

Guest Carse

Tough to say.....

I took 4.0 my first year, 3.0 my second, 5.0 in my 3rd and 4th year and only 2.5 in my 5th (one full semester). I graduated after 4.5 years, and got interviews at both places that I applied to (U of C, U of A). I did not have the most spectacular GPA either, so they must not look down on it too much...

Carse,

Those are the two schools I'm interested in... I plan on applying next year, and I was wondering if you could post your MCAT stats as a guideline to see if I should even put my hopes up for an interview.

Thanks,

Erin

Guest Akane200

I took 4.5 in winter session in 2nd year + 1.0 in the summer following.

I am now (almost, as of tomorrow) finished first year meds at U of T.

Guest Akane200

I forgot to add that it means nothing much to getting in. At U of T, I just didn't qualify for that "special" weighting scale. Instead they just looked at the cGPA over all the years (more or less, every year and course is weighted equally). Good luck!

Guest Carse

EB,

VR-10

PS-10

Essay-Q

BS-12

However, I don't know that having great MCAT scores are required at U of A OR U of C. I know people that have gotten into Edmonton with scores as low as 7, so they must not put a lot of weight on it. In fact, I heard of one person who got in despite getting a 6 in the VR section, despite the fact that U of A advertises that a minimum of 7 in each section is required. If your scores aren't what you consider spectacular, I still wouldn't let it stop you from applying.

Guest Ian Wong

I think you'll be okay. I don't think that UBC would care if you missed out on one semester. If you chronically did that each year, and didn't have a good reason for why you were taking a light courseload (ie. working a job, supporting dependants, etc.) UBC, and other med schools just want to make sure that you can handle the high volume load of medical school.

It's relatively simple to get high marks in undergrad if you have a light courseload. It takes a lot more organization, time management, and discipline to get the same high marks if you are taking a full courseload, especially if that includes lab courses.

If you are really concerned, you could call UBC up and ask them, but the reality is that you can't change that part of your transcript anyway. The scenario may be different for other med schools, particularly those that selectively weight each academic year differently (UBC looks at all four years: not all schools do this).

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived