Premed 101 Forums

Defending your masters before med school

As far as I know, med schools aren't concerned with the actual graduation date. They want to make sure you have wrapped up all of your graduate work before starting, so you need to defend and submit your thesis before you start meds. When I was doing my MSc, a PhD student was accepted to UofT and defended near late July. The actual convocation ceremony wasn't until after she started meds in the fall. All that mattered was that she finished her actual thesis work and defense before she started the new program.

Disclaimer: this was an example of only one student at one med school. I'm not sure of other schools' policies. You should contact them directly and have this clarified.

Thank you very much,It’s useful for me. But we still have some pity.

Thank you for the insightful comment .... OMG you JUST happen to sell fake Rolex watches ... I was just looking for a fake rolex watch to take to my med school interview Ill get in for sure when the interviewer sees that! :D:rolleyes:

You have some pity for what? That most people cant afford authentic Rolex watches?

• 2 weeks later...

I know a few people who started 1st year at Mac and defended after (later in sept, and one in Oct). I defended mine the week before O-week, and handed in the final copy during the first week.

So at least at Mac, it won't have any effect (technically, I don't even think you have to finish it, since it has no bearing on your entrance, unless you were getting the upgrade, in which case you'd have to defend it by Dec in your application year)

Archived