Premed 101 Forums

Is this true?

IamIDP

"Rna differences can be due to inversion of exons"

Please and thank-you. I would appreciate if someone can verify this.

Its true. If you think about the reading frame of the gene, an inversion of a specific segment or exon will result in a entirely different set of codons come translation time. However, I don't believe they are that common in nature. I think they occur when you have transposons enter the genome after migrating from another section and orient in the opposite direction. Could be mistake about this though... anyone else?

Its true. If you think about the reading frame of the gene, an inversion of a specific segment or exon will result in a entirely different set of codons come translation time. However, I don't believe they are that common in nature. I think they occur when you have transposons enter the genome after migrating from another section and orient in the opposite direction. Could be mistake about this though... anyone else?

Thank-you for your response. This question was on our final exam except it stated:

"The difference in RNA is due to:" and an option was inversion of exon regions...

And the prof. said that it cannot be due to inversion of the exon since he's never heard of anything like this. I need proof to show that this is possible... Anyone else got an opinion on this?

I'm leaning toward agreeing with the prof on this one, I don't think inverting a exon can create a new gene product..

How's that possible because when you..

You invert a sequence = like to cause different amino acids = changes RNA sequence = change protein. For example:

DNA: TA[CGA]CA

Inverted sequence: TA[AGC]AC

Edit: I got a 2nd opinion from my genetics prof and he agrees with me.

Archived