Premed 101 Forums

Ranking w no interview

Pnut06

There is a mechanism for mistakes to be corrected post match, so in the unlikely event you are ranked, and match without an interview, the program could appeal the error within 30 days of receiving the results, if they notice before you start anyways.

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_appeals_e.shtml

It would be tempting to rank all the programs I didn't interview at above those I did in actual order of preference, to reflect whether people actually statistically land in their top choices, but the chance of an error screwing you over is not non-existent.

An error might also get caught after the 2nd iteration in which case you might be screwed out of a shot at round 2 and have no match.

There is a mechanism for mistakes to be corrected post match, so in the unlikely event you are ranked, and match without an interview, the program could appeal the error within 30 days of receiving the results, if they notice before you start anyways.

http://www.carms.ca/eng/operations_appeals_e.shtml

It would be tempting to rank all the programs I didn't interview at above those I did in actual order of preference, to reflect whether people actually statistically land in their top choices, but the chance of an error screwing you over is not non-existent.

An error might also get caught after the 2nd iteration in which case you might be screwed out of a shot at round 2 and have no match.

If you rank a program, you are contractually obligated to go if you match there, right?

The same applies for the programs -- If they rank you and you match, then as far as I'm concerned there are no grounds for appeal.

If they really don't want someone, dont rank them! Seems simple to me.

• 1 year later...

So I haven't been withdrawn from the NRMP. Is anyone else in the same situation? Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to March 5th. I still have high hopes for CaRMS Match Day. Hopefully I match somewhere!!

Good luck to all =)!

p.s. I also ranked programs on CaRMS that I did not interview at... could that be the reason why I haven't been withdrawn from NRMP??

from my understanding of this whole NRMP/CaRMS overlap thing is that if you have not been withdrawn from NRMP, more than likely, you have unfortunately not matched in CaRMS, but again I remember a person last year who showed withdrawn from NRMP and went unmatched in CaRMS but he had a prematch on the table so he got screwed. Hopefully this year will be good to you! Best of luck!!!

If you indicated in the CARMS application that you also applied to NRMP, you did not match to CARMS if you werent withdrawn. I dont know what would occur if you did not check that box in the CARMS application and you matched to CARMS but NRMP was not informed and you are still in the NRMP match :eek:

Archived