Premed 101 Forums

RFUMS SMP vs MSUCOM DO

brolias

Hello there,

Sorry in advance for the long post.

I've been accepted to MSUCOM (DO) as a Canadian. However, I recently discovered another option: RFUMS SMP which apparently takes a large number of its masters students into its medical school.

Now, here are my stats:

3.09 c/s GPA (3.8 in my last year so far)

32 MCAT (balanced)

I realise that there are no guarantees with RFUMS, and that it might be a year lost. I am confident in my ability to do well in the med school classes, however the chance of failure (waste of a year + $50k) must be acknowledged. Because of my stats and citizenship, I would not be competetive at any other US MD school besides CMS.

If I am successful, the difference in tuition between CMS and MSUCOM should make up for the masters, making both options cost the same.

I would prefer a MD school as opposed to a DO, just because of the greater freedom when it comes to choosing a speciality as well as coming back into Canada. This is not a MD vs DO thread.

What are your opinions on what I should do?

Should I apply to RFUMS and defer the MSUCOM acceptance? Or just go DO?

I am confident in my ability to do well in the med school classes,

I am not trying to be mean, but don't be so sure. Med school is whole another beast. You are competing with the best of the best.

If you really don't like primary care, then I would go towards the SMP program. You should feel really fortunate that you have been given the opportunity to study at a med school.

*My opinion is biased because I go to a DO school.

Archived