Premed 101 Forums

Oh my God!

Guest EB

Just a warning to anyone sending if reference letters that are due right about now (like for U of C)... Don't use Xpresspost. Ever.

CanadaPost has lost not one, but *two*, references. They are in official "limbo".

Great.

Does anyone have any experience with late letters? If the deadline is the 4th, and your arrives on the 6th... is your application still voided?

EB

Guest Ian Wong

Ack! The first thing to do is contact your med school, and let them know that you will be sending them reference letters, and that they have not yet arrived due to a Canada Post mishap. Let them know that you have documentation that the letters were actually sent well in advance of the original deadline (read: tracking numbers). Also find out if there are alternate ways to submit the reference letter (ie. fax or email).

The next priority is to somehow contact your referees. Ideally, they'll be able to email or fax off a copy of their reference letter now, and then send a hard copy of the reference letter through courier.

I'm pretty sure that the medical school will have some leniency for you. One of my reference letters was lost in the same fashion as what happened to you three years ago, and I think med schools are generally quite understanding about the difficulty of gathering up replacement letters, especially during the holiday season. Just make sure to keep them informed as to what you are doing to remdy the situation.

Good luck! :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest derelik

EB,

Two years ago one of the profs writing a reference letter for me forgot to mail it. There was some sort of mix up somewhere....

Anyhow, U of C, contacted me (via e-mail and letter) to let me know that I had two weeks to get the missing reference letter in. They gave me a fax number to which the letter could be sent. It didn't seem to be a problem at all. U of C was very understanding.

Give them a phone call and explain what happened - hopefully all should work out.

Good luck.

Derelik.

Archived