Premed 101 Forums

Anyone starting 2nd degree at UWO in Fall2012?

I'm not starting in Sept 2012 - a few years later though(still finishing my first degree in nursing :P )!

I was thinking just a general Bio degree, do some summer school, get it over in 2 years. Might do 3 years if other Med School's require that for a second undergrad.

• 3 weeks later...

Advice.... there' s a cut off every year for people in medical science ... It's uber competitive and remember that there's a chance of not making it to honours specialization for your 4th year too... (at UWO, Bio and Med splits from 2nd year... but it's not completely decided that you will finish with your chosen hons special program in medical science... since it depends on competition every year) I remember people going into less competitive field (enviro sci) I think, got awesome GPA and applied to Med. So keep mind open for bio too. They are interesting.

On the other hand, medical science program offers lot more 'relevant' and interesting human clinical science based courses... but the average will be incredibly high... (it is a limited enrolment too) so even if you do well in those courses, with class average in consideration (if school do see that part of your transcript) your effort to get high marks might not be emphasized,,, (since lot of people do well in the course, not necessarily because it is easy, but they were the A+student to begin with).

Anyway, congratulations, and I wish you the best of luck. For people who did science, many seem to chose psychology as their second undergrad, some of the psych courses are easier comparatively to science courses. Lot of reading though.

If you have any question about courses at Western I will gladly offer advice :D cheers.

Archived