Premed 101 Forums

Foreign Dentists Coming to Canada?

I don't see what a country being "third-world" has anything to do with it. Foreign-trained dentists from non-accredited programmes have to go through more schooling here in Canada before and pass various assessments before they're allowed to take the NDEB. There aren't very many spots per year (for example, Saskatchewan has a grand total of ONE spot for their DDS program for a foreign-trained dentist, AND that applicant must be originally from Saskatchewan).

The most recent development was that several Australian dental programmes were granted accreditation/curriculum equivalence so that graduates from those schools can take the NDEB freely. Same with the States. It's a double-edged sword. It means Canadians now have the option of studying in Australia and then coming home, but it also means that Australians have the option of coming to Canada after finishing their schooling.

Though, I doubt many Australian nationals would want to leave for Canada. The state of dentistry over there is fairly similar to what it is here in North America, and the quality of life there for a medical professional is outstanding. Why bother moving halfway across the globe?

The new development in the last year or so is that foreign trained dentists no longer have to complete a 2-3 year qualifying program in Canada. Instead they have the option of writing 3 tests.

So then what's the purpose of the ITD program at Western or the IDAPP program at U of T? Are those just being phased out?

http://www.premed101.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-46054.html

Yes, now you could get your dental education from foreign (including non-accredited) Universities and challenge the board by taking 1 written exam, 1 OSCE (patient interview), and 1 clinical exam

Few years ago, a friend of mine, a dentist, already told me about this, but I couldn't believe CDA would let this happen- in hind sight it's quite obvious when they decided to overcharge us for soaps lol)

If you look at what happened to dentists in developed countries like Japan, where there are literally more dental practices than convenience stores, you'll realize cdn dentists are not immune to market saturation. I thought they were doing a good job keeping the supply of dental graduates in check - in comparison to dental schools in Japan and Austrailia recruiting foreign students to offset deficits-, they really dropped the ball on this one.

http://www.ndeb.ca/content/summary-historical-pass-rates-ndeb-equivalency-process-0

Apparently the clinical skills assessment is kind of a bottleneck for the process, and it can only be taken if you pass the fundamental knowledge test. Apparently in 2011 only 44 people managed to "complete" the entire process.

But that's just the first year. Who knows how many more will complete it each year as time goes on. I mean, 44 isn't a lot, but at a particular point you start to wonder why couldn't we just open 44 more seats to residents? Some of the dental programmes here in Canada are minuscule in size...

http://www.ndeb.ca/content/summary-historical-pass-rates-ndeb-equivalency-process-0

Apparently the clinical skills assessment is kind of a bottleneck for the process, and it can only be taken if you pass the fundamental knowledge test. Apparently in 2011 only 44 people managed to "complete" the entire process.

But that's just the first year. Who knows how many more will complete it each year as time goes on. I mean, 44 isn't a lot, but at a particular point you start to wonder why couldn't we just open 44 more seats to residents? Some of the dental programmes here in Canada are minuscule in size...

wow, I would say that's quite a lot.

That's how many graduates an average cdn dental school produces, and they will open up practices pretty much either in Vancouver or GTA.

hey cleanup,

I recognize you from SDN. Are you staying in Canada after all?

wait how does this work? % of people passing seems to be pretttttty high...like 50%? but only 44 total?

wait how does this work? % of people passing seems to be pretttttty high...like 50%? but only 44 total?

That's 50% of the clinical judgment test. You have to pass all 3 in order to complete the process. That 50% will include folks who failed the clinical skills test (which only has a 22% pass rate). And then some of those 22% might have failed the judgment test (since they can be taken concurrently).

IMO it is quite a few. 44 students could be a whole new dental school haha. :o

hey cleanup,

I recognize you from SDN. Are you staying in Canada after all?

If I get into U of T or UWO (the schools I applied to), then yes. For now, I'm still debating between NYU and Case.

hmm I see. but considering how this was like the first year they implemented this, 44 seems quite a bit, no? It's probably more likely to go up than down once people hear more about it.

It's also interesting to note how they accredited Australian dental schools while passing this law...I wonder what they are thinking...? dentist saturation not enough? dental services not low enough? lol

That's 50% of the clinical judgment test. You have to pass all 3 in order to complete the process. That 50% will include folks who failed the clinical skills test (which only has a 22% pass rate). And then some of those 22% might have failed the judgment test (since they can be taken concurrently).

IMO it is quite a few. 44 students could be a whole new dental school haha. :o

If I get into U of T or UWO (the schools I applied to), then yes. For now, I'm still debating between NYU and Case.

hey cleanup, are you from states or from Canada?

I think this is total bull****. Why are they doing this in the first place?

So they can infuse more dentists in Canada without having to invest in new seats in dental schools. It's far more cost-effective since they don't really shoulder any educational costs. Also schools can scale back their international bridging programmes.

All at the cost of the integrity of the profession. =\

reddishh: I'm Canadian.

So they can infuse more dentists in Canada without having to invest in new seats in dental schools. It's far more cost-effective since they don't really shoulder any educational costs. Also schools can scale back their international bridging programmes.

All at the cost of the integrity of the profession. =\

reddishh: I'm Canadian.

Tell me about it.

India alone graduates 12,872 dentists a year (2005). They couldn't resist this outsourcing opportunity like they did away with domestic dental lab techs. :rolleyes:

congratz on your acceptance btw.

It's probably a smart move to save money on tuition by studying in Canada and see how everything pans out.

The reason they don't open up more spots is because it's expensive to train a dental student. All yhough UWO and UT students already pay +30k a year for tuition, these programs are still subsidized by the government because it takes a butt-load of money to keep fully functional clinics open. In all, we actually have a lack of dentists in Canada. The problem is that it is smaller towns outside of the larger cities are that lacking in dentists whereas places like Toronto and Vancouver are already saturated. But letting in more foreign dentists is kind of stupid since they will most likely cluster in the large cities anyways...

Archived