Premed 101 Forums

U of Alberta vs U of Ottawa

Guest premed

Guest premed

Luckily got into both schools...

must decide in the next few days...

ANY SUGGESTIONS/THOUGHTS/COMMENTS?

NOTE: I am not sure what field I want to go into, but thinking about family, orthopedics, or optomology...

thanks

Guest HHH07

Consider how nice the city is and if you would want to live there, cost, and education.

I personally dont see one of those schools being any better than the other, but look into the curriculum and see if one is better suited for you (how you learn etc.). Ottawa will probably cost much more because of higher tuition and much higher rent costs and cost of living, however it is a great city.

With respect to ophthalmology, I know that UO has one of the top couple (and probably the best) residency programs in Canada. Therefore, there would be a lot of opportunity to do research and clinical work in that field in order to get into that speciality. I'm not sure about family or ortho. Hope this helps.

Here's my reasoning:

The Oilers are a younger, more dynamic and more of an explosive hockey team to watch than the Ottawa Senators. This makes for more exciting hockey at Northlands Coliseum - therefore, the ONLY logical thing to do would be to go to Edmonton.

jc

Guest AndyStew

A bit of advice from someone currently living in Ottawa... Such a beautiful city. So much to see, and so much to do. Although I'm not familiar with the program at the U of A, I do know a little bit about Ottawa U. It's definitely a great program. However, depending on where you currently live, you should consider how far away each school is, and where you think you would be most comfortable. I'm getting ready to move to Hamilton, and I'm truly going to miss Ottawa! It's a beautiful city to live in! Furthermore, there are a number of teaching hospitals in the city, and therefore when it comes time for you clinical years, there are a number of opportunities.

Guest Ian Wong

Unless you've really spent some hard-core time working with ophthalmologists already, I really wouldn't choose my med school based on wanting a specific residency offered at that school. The chances are extremely good (well over 50% if I remember correctly) that each medical student will change his/her minds over several times.

The reality is that med school gives you the option to explore so many specialties, and the realities of those specialties becomes much more apparent than what you may have encountered. You might just find a specialty that fits your personality even more than Ophthalmology.

For that reason, I think you should really look for the medical school that fits you best. If you decide that both medical schools are basically equivalent, then look for the city that makes you happiest. If you have more friends/relatives in either city, this will make your med school transition that much easier. Tuition costs should also be a factor, particularly if you are already in debt from undergrad. Either way, you'll be your most productive in the school and city that makes you happiest, and this productivity will help you match into the specialty that's right for you.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Archived