Premed 101 Forums

Med Admissions Stats

Guest Katie

Guest Katie

Does anyone know where I could find the percentage of successful applicants per year across Canada overall? I know that in the U.S. about 48,000 apply and 18,000 get accepted (I *think*). In Canada, I think there's 1500 spots so...does anyone know? :)

Guest Ian Wong

Here's the CMA's listing of medical school seats.

www.cma.ca/statinfo/pdf/first_year_enrolment_sex.pdf

Unfortunately, figuring out the total number of applications is a little deceiving, for the simple reason that most students apply to multiple schools. This is particularly true for the Ontario schools, where Ontario residency gives you some options into which med schools you can apply for. Obviously someone who applies to more schools will have at least a little better opportunity of acceptance.

I don't know the number of applicants off-hand, but I suspect it's roughly proportional to the ratio of applicants in the US. More definitive information on that can be obtained through a publication by the ACMC, which is the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges. I've got an old copy of this booklet, although not with me at the moment, and it's got extremely detailed breakdowns of med school admissions, far in excess of what you'll find on the med school website. The start URL is: www.acmc.ca

The actual page where you can purchase the booklet is at:

www.acmc.ca/publications.htm

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Katie

Ian, your post reminded me that I did have that ACMC booklet stashed away somewhere! I brought it out and found that there are about 7500 different applicants and 1500 spaces each year.

Guest Katie

Yes, there were about 21,000 applications to Med schools across Canada overall, but each applicant applied to roughly 3 different schools.

Archived