Premed 101 Forums

What to do with the next year

Hey,

So I found a sticky post in this forum incredibly helpful in persuading me NOT to go for a graduate degree. To be honest, I've spent hours looking for interesting research that I think I could spend a few years on but I've yet to find it. That probably has to do with my wanting to start studying medicine as soon as possible coupled with some rather blah research volunteer experiences during undergrad - for both the masters student I was helping and myself. I was considering doing the course based masters in clinical anatomy at western but I saw that it was 20 months long which is longer than I had hoped for. I guess I'm asking for advice on what to do if I don't get in this year. I have two interviews (queens and western) and about a 3.94 wGPA for both schools with a 36S (perfectly balanced) MCAT. I was thinking about taking a 1 year masters degree to improve my application a little bit while learning about something health field related but I'm not sure there is such a thing in such a short time. I hate to be the guy to say this, but I really am looking to fill in the time while I wait for another application cycle if I don't get in this year.

I've already taken this year off, I moved to down town toronto, I've made a huge dent in my debt, I've volunteered and worked full time and I've shadowed a cardiac surgeon for about 2 weeks. I've loved every minute of this year off so far and I wouldn't change it for the world. It's been an incredible experience and one that I seriously could have used after 4 years of undergrad - I got to forget about school for this period of time and develop the non-academic side of me for a bit through other experiences. However, a year of this is enough and I'm not sure how admissions committees will see this time off. I think I need a solid plan for next year in case I don't get in, something to improve my application and one in which people won't potentially argue I did "nothing" in. Again, I love my choice to take a year off this year, I don't feel like I did nothing and I've really enjoyed this time away from school but it's time to go back, I miss it and I want to continue on to reaching my professional goals.

So that's my story, does anyone have any suggestions with what to do with this year besides a research based masters degree? I really only want to take up one year doing this because I really can't wait for medicine and I'd only be doing this while i wait.

Cheers

TBH, I think you have a very good shot at UWO (~50% success rate post-interview) and Queen's (considering that you have worked on the non-academic side of things), but in the even that they don't work out, there are certainly a handful of 1 year master's programs you could apply for.

I am aware of the 1 year - MSc in global health at McMaster University, but I am not sure when their deadline is/was. Also, I do know that McMaster has some M.A course-based programs if you just want a filler year (M.A in Globalization, for instance).

Good luck with the interviews and I hope they end up being successful!

Hey,

I appreciate the reply, I'm really hoping that my interviews work out this year but I'm also aware that it's really important to keep your options open. I'm looking into courses at u of t right now, I'll check out mac, queens and a few other schools. Best to be prepared

Thanks for the kind words!

Your application seems so strong, you hopefully won't need to worry about what you'll do next year! If you don't get in this year, it must be that your interview skills or ECs are lacking, right? So to improve those why not travel? I know you don't want to seem like you've done "nothing" but travelling while you have the time is a great idea and superb opportunity to better learn how to talk to people. You can work and volunteer your time while you're away and have so many experiences you wouldn't get at home. They will be great to talk about during your interview!

I know that last year the blow of rejection was softened because I had such wonderful travel plans for this year :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,

I am not unfamiliar with mass rejections and one-year-crisis-control plans. I recommend doing what I'm presently enrolled in: a one-year graduate diploma in Clinical Research offered by McGill University's Experimental Medicine Faculty. It's comprised of very little courses (basically one elective a semester), and a "practicum" which is basically a placement in a clinical research setting. It's pretty great in that it's very flexible (I spent my first semester going to class randomly while working full time and still managed to get by), and it can set you up with some really fantastic researchers. You can basically work your ass off, get great clinical experience, and make important contacts. You learn a lot. Most research is also done in hospitals, and you can specify that you want direct interaction with patients. McGill researchers are amazing - that school really does recruit some impressive individuals.

Here's the website: http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/expmed/grad_programs_graddiploma.htm

Think about it.

Hey,

No you don't. I imagine that would help a lot if you were applying to the Masters program, but this is a non-thesis diploma. So not at all, they will help you get placement in your clinical research. You can even specify your interests, and the coordinator will work some magic into placing you into labs you never even knew were right for you.

As for the difficulty of getting in - admission to the program is significantly less competitive than than to medical school. So if you have the grades and the CV for medical school but by some chance (who knows amiright?) you didn't get in this time around, getting into the program is certainly feasible.

Archived