Premed 101 Forums

Is there anything you wished you had done before starting medical school?

I'm starting med school in the fall (Dal 2016, woo!) and already have a pretty busy summer planned, but I want to make the most of my time and freedom. If you could go back to the months you had before starting medicine, what would you do differently with your time and money? Do you wish you had traveled? Saved more money? Started learning anatomy or how to play the piano?

I'm also wondering what you were GLAD you did before you started. I don't want this thread to be filled with just regrets. What helped you the most? What experience were you happy to have because you no longer have the time/money/whatever?

Do not study. Make the most of your time doing whatever it is you please. And you only have a couple of summers left to do the same. I thoroughly enjoy my winter and summer breaks. Set up your LOC, buy a car if you will need one and just enjoy your summer. :P Oh, splurg get yourself an iPad3 when they come out this week, they do come in handy. Congratulations! I find med school super, classmates are all helpful, wonderful atmosphere.

Don't study. For the love of all that is holy don't study.

Try to win the lottery. You'll appreciate that in later years when you don't have debt.

My best advice is try to be reasonable with spending. Too many people go nuts with the LOC. You may make it back quickly when working but a lot of debt during residency can be expensive and stressful.

I also want to tell you to not study. I am very glad I didn't. I'm going to be studying for the rest of my life. I had six weeks between the end of my PhD and the start of grad school, and I spent it with family and slept in every single day. There wasn't anything that would have been better for me to do than that.

If you're already in the Maritimes I recommend spending a week at Camp Triumph! It's a free residential camp in PEI founded by a former Dal Med student to offer a vacation for children with parents or family members suffering chronic illness. Lots of DalMed people still come to be counsellors each summer.

I spent a week there three years in a row, and each time it was one of the highlights of my year! The kids are great, you're doing something wonderful for kids with a lot of stress in their lives, and it's just really fun to spend 7 (or more) days playing outside in the sun and goofing around with a bunch of kids.

http://www.camptriumph.ca

Since I did research during every summer in university, I found a non-research job for the summer between university and medical school. It was a nice experience to have.

So after you found out you got accepted to medical school, you told your prof that you weren't going to do research in the lab for that summer? Because usually you make an agreement with the prof months before the summer starts, but the acceptance comes near summer break no?

I'm just curious!

No, I had not made any prior arrangements for a research position that year. Plus, my acceptance was early (March). I figured if I didn't get in, I would be busy improving my application for the next cycle :)

March..? I guess UBC is late then b/c I think they send it out in May ?

So if you were lucky enough to be accepted, and agreed for a lab during the summer in case you didn't make it, then you pretty much waste your only summer before med with the lab unless you wanna be a 'douche' and say goodbye to lab just cuz u got accepted to med...

So if you were lucky enough to be accepted, and agreed for a lab during the summer in case you didn't make it, then you pretty much waste your only summer before med with the lab unless you wanna be a 'douche' and say goodbye to lab just cuz u got accepted to med...

it's not being a douche, getting accepted is a big change to one's life plans, that job no longer fits in those plans. Sure it is an inconvenience for the employer but that's what its like being an employer... life is unpredictable and they will find someone else. It's not worth throwing away one of your last free summers for a long time for fear of causing someone a mild inconvenience.

My advice for summer before med: travel, spend lots of time with friends and family, and don't study --> that's what you've just committed the rest of your life to so kick back while you can (hope that doesn't sound like med is bad, it's awesome! but of course there's lots of studying to do)

studying isnt too baddd

or you could do research like alwayss (for the extra cash and being productivee)

i dont really regret spending my summer doing research before med school it was fun and i had a great summer too! (travelled on the weekends :))

I don't think it's being a douche either. I kinda of have this crazy idea that I want to be a barista for a summer and learn how to make fancy coffees- no way I can do that while I'm still trying to improve my app. But if I got accepted? Yeah! :D

I don't think it's being a douche either. I kinda of have this crazy idea that I want to be a barista for a summer and learn how to make fancy coffees- no way I can do that while I'm still trying to improve my app. But if I got accepted? Yeah! :D

You could buy a cook book and accomplish the same thing without slinging joe for minimum wage.

You could buy a cook book and accomplish the same thing without slinging joe for minimum wage.

I wouldn't even care if I was making money. I just want to hang around with people, use a proper espresso machine, learn from someone who's good at it, and gain a skill. It's a bucket list thing. :)

I wouldn't even care if I was making money. I just want to hang around with people, use a proper espresso machine, learn from someone who's good at it, and gain a skill. It's a bucket list thing. :)

I feel like this is something that you could learn on your own without too much difficulty. Unfortunately a lot of working on the food industry just becomes mindless repetition.

1) Keep in mind, it was close to a decade ago and I do not believe my school offers early acceptances any more.

2) It's not a waste if it's something you enjoy. A number of my classmates did do research between undergrad and med - they had genuine interest in what they were doing, saw themselves doing research in the future, and were able to use the time towards a research designation in the MD program. They didn't necessarily spend the entire summer doing this - I am sure they took time off as well.

I am SO GLAD i did not study or work. Seriously--do not study or work.

The money you make working will be inconsequential in your life. Studying before meds starts will help you zero. I beg you lol, enjoy your life, you only get so many summers like this.

That money isn't going to be inconsequential to me, I make about 25 grand in a summer haha. But I love my job, and I'd rather be working than not. I've been off relaxing since Christmas so this is like my summer :cool:

But thanks for the advice, I'm definitely NOT going to study.

That money isn't going to be inconsequential to me, I make about 25 grand in a summer haha. But I love my job, and I'd rather be working than not. I've been off relaxing since Christmas so this is like my summer :cool:

But thanks for the advice, I'm definitely NOT going to study.

Nothing wrong with working if its what you love to do - just don't miss out on opportunities to spend time with friends and family as summers become a luxury once med starts, especially if you decide on a more competitive specialty.

Seriously, just chill out, put your feet up and enjoy.

Then in pre-clerkship chill as much as you can while still doing what you need to do.

Come clerkship having a chance to do laundry and take care of other "independent activities of daily living" seems pretty sweet. It's even rarer and super awesome if you are not falling asleep post-call while doing it... This will be your "entertainment". Ok, not quite, but closer to the truth than you think...

From the looks of things this situation remains post-medical school, at least for the immediate future.

I wish I did less work and traveled even more and appreciated the sweet sweet pleasures of having weeks of open nothingness planned prior to med school. Speaking of which, I can't wait for my pre-PGY1 break in 2 months. Perhaps a chance of redemption for pre-med school errors? ;)

I wish I had studied Physical therapy before med school because musculoskeletal classes are giving me a hard time :P

Get an ipad (price is reduced for ipad2 while they last) and get apps in French. More painless. :P

BTW Nixon, if you send me PM @ SDN, you can review a QAS for added input if you have the time. :) See how to do it below.

Archived