Premed 101 Forums

Degree or No Degree

Guest ML

Guest Ian Wong

Your chances of getting into med school are much better after you have completed a degree, for most Canadian universities. Just as a quick comparison, look to UBC's entering class of 2001 here. Four people were accepted after 3 years, without a degree, while 107 were accepted with a Bachelor's degree.

premed101.com/stats.html#Training2001

It simply boils down to the fact that if you are applying after three years, you need to have at least as competitive an application as someone who has had four years. You're trying to "catch up" with someone who has had an extra year. In fact, I believe Dalhousie even requires that you have a degree before you can apply. Most med schools take a small number of applicants who have spent three years in university, and I believe Calgary and Mac consider applicants who have only two years. Toronto seems to have a disproportionately high number of med students who have only spent three years in university, but I believe that many/most of those students have undergraduate degrees; they were simply done in three years instead of the more typical four years.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Everything Ian says is true. However, in Ontario there is a good reason why 3 years is OK: Ontario has 3-year Bachelor's programs (at least for now; I heard they are abolishing OAC soon). In BC there is no real reason why they should have 3 years as acceptable, but they do, so you have to be extra keen and capable if you plan to matriculate without a BSc.

All Ontario schools (including Mac) require 3 years. From what I hear, 3rd year students generally have a better chance at Toronto, Western, and Ottawa than at Queen's and McMaster. I think the only Canadian school that requires a 4 year degree is McGill.

Guest sazzafrazz

hi

Just thought I'd offer the Manitoba perspective

No one gets in without a degree. In fact the 3 year general is an absolute minimum. Most have 4 years, lots of Masters, and two PhDs.

It's very intimidating for those with the three years. Especially if their course of study was English, or Computing or something. They've got a lot to learn.

saz

Guest ThugJaan

Hey,

You UBC guys...OAC is already history, next year will be the infamous 'double competition' year. So I guess in about 4 years we cna kiss the 3 year degree goodbye!

Guest Akane200

There are lots more ppl who get in to UTMeds with 3 years than 4. I guess that's just one of the selection biases. ^_^

I was comparing undergrad curriculum content with one of my classmates from BC, and I found that some stuff taught in third year there are taught in second year at U of T, so maybe three years is acceptable in Ontario because somethings have already been taught by then. I dunno....

The three year general degree in only 15 full credits. This is one of those old remnants of the hybridized english and north american systems that apparently exist at U of T (being over 150 years old).

Hey ML, please check your facts before you write..I am currently completing my 3year degree at UofT...There are plans to remove but they haven't done so...Trust me the 3year Degree is still on...Unless all the admission people and counselors are trying to trick the students here (which I think NOT:) )

actually let me rephrase that...missisauga and scarborough haven't...st.george might have discarded the three year degree...so I think Ml is refering to st.george only.

The three year degree has been removed for all people who started in 2001 at the St. George campus. These students would be in their first year right now. The current calendar says that "for all students registered for the first time... in the summer 2001 session and thereafter, the St. George Campus has discontinued the 15 course (three-year) B.A. and B.Sc. degrees. Students registered in a degree program in the Faculty before Summer 2001 may still choose a three-year degree." So that means the current second year and third year students can still get a degree after three years...

Archived