Premed 101 Forums

SMP in the USA, then med school in Canada?

Hi,

I've searched this forum to see if this topic exists, but haven't found it anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone (Canadians) has done an SMP in the US to raise GPA/boos application, and then returned to Canada for med school.

Anyone have any ideas about what adcomms in Canada think about an SMP year? Do they care?

Also, as I already have a Masters (an MA) would adding a seocnd one be advantageous in terms of the schools that count masters GPA? For example, U of C takes your grad GPA as one full year GPA. So if I had two masters degrees, would they take the GPAs as two full undergrad years?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I've searched this forum to see if this topic exists, but haven't found it anywhere. I'm wondering if anyone (Canadians) has done an SMP in the US to raise GPA/boos application, and then returned to Canada for med school.

Anyone have any ideas about what adcomms in Canada think about an SMP year? Do they care?

Also, as I already have a Masters (an MA) would adding a seocnd one be advantageous in terms of the schools that count masters GPA? For example, U of C takes your grad GPA as one full year GPA. So if I had two masters degrees, would they take the GPAs as two full undergrad years?

Thanks!

Usually, Canadian schools don't look at grad studies.

SMP = masters = completely useless in Canada.

SMPs are only useful in United States

The best kept secret is the BMS (biomedical sciences) program at Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin University). Last year we had about 90-100 students, in the end at least 90% of the class got into medical school. This program has the highest acceptance rate of any SMP program in the country. I only know of 1 person that didn't get in because she had more than one C in the program.

You complete 4 medical school courses through your course in the SMP program and another 4 courses in Healthcare Management.

You end up with a MSc in Biomedical Sciences. You get a relaxed first year as a M-1A and you can puruse yet another master. Some people do research and end up with the M.D.D.R. (M.D. with distinction in research).

SMP = masters = completely useless in Canada.

SMPs are only useful in United States

The best kept secret is the BMS (biomedical sciences) program at Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin University). Last year we had about 90-100 students, in the end at least 90% of the class got into medical school. This program has the highest acceptance rate of any SMP program in the country. I only know of 1 person that didn't get in because she had more than one C in the program.

You complete 4 medical school courses through your course in the SMP program and another 4 courses in Healthcare Management.

You end up with a MSc in Biomedical Sciences. You get a relaxed first year as a M-1A and you can puruse yet another master. Some people do research and end up with the M.D.D.R. (M.D. with distinction in research).

Thanks for the reply...but Masters aren't completely useless at all Canadian schools. Off the top of my head, UBC and U of C will both take a Masters degree as one full-time year of undergrad in terms of calculating GPA. So, it could technically boost GPA. But CMS sounds like a good option if I don't get in to the Canadian schools I want. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Out of curiosity, which schools did the 90% of students get into? Did most stay at CMS, or did they go all over?

Thanks again

Thanks for the reply...but Masters aren't completely useless at all Canadian schools. Off the top of my head, UBC and U of C will both take a Masters degree as one full-time year of undergrad in terms of calculating GPA. So, it could technically boost GPA. But CMS sounds like a good option if I don't get in to the Canadian schools I want. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Out of curiosity, which schools did the 90% of students get into? Did most stay at CMS, or did they go all over?

Thanks again

I can't give you an exact number I would say 90-95% of students stayed at CMS.

Thanks again

if GPA is all you care about, you mind as well take a few 1st and 2nd year courses to boost it rather than an expensive masters degree

Archived