Premed 101 Forums

What should I do?

In my opinion, your GPA will hold you back for sure and the downside is that you probably won't benefit from different weighing since your GPA is on a downward trend. I'm not sure how the rest of your application pans out but if you have solid above average productivity during your graduate programs and have demonstrated sincere genuine interest to medicine, then you may still have chances with some med schools in Ontario.

I know right off the bat that if you don't improve your GPA, then Western, Queen's, and Ottawa are not an option. Mac may be if you can have good MCAT and everything else. U of T may be more forgiving if you have excellent graduate productivity and extracurriculars.

What about foreign medical schools? Are you willing to consider those options?

I know less competent people who are now residents at good hospitals.

Funny how the only people who say this kind of tripe are those who aren't in med school. You could argue that they are more competent than you, by the fact that they are now residents.

Re. your question, go with a second undergrad degree full time instead of certificate programs and stay out of UofT. If you're mobile, it would actually be worth your move to Calgary.

Funny how the only people who say this kind of tripe are those who aren't in med school. You could argue that they are more competent than you, by the fact that they are now residents.

Re. your question, go with a second undergrad degree full time instead of certificate programs and stay out of UofT. If you're mobile, it would actually be worth your move to Calgary.

Agree 100%. I love it when people in my undergrad who didn't get into med say they can do a better job than me despite never having volunteered at a hospital or shadowed a physician. How about working over the 100 hours I did during residency and dealing with some the cases I've seen in the ICU before making statements like this.

Archived