Premed 101 Forums

I am currently a high school student...

Guest Sara

Firstly - Ian Wong- WOW! this is awesome- do you know how many people surf the net to find something even CLOSE to this!Its funny cause before i saw this website i thought nothing like it existed! there were all those cheesy websites that didn't help at all!! It answers many of the questions that run through our minds regarding post-secondary- specifically medicine. I just wanted to let you know- this website is AWESOME- its greatly appreciated : )

Well here's the concern...I'm in Grade 12- Calgary Alberta, and well - i've ALWAYS wanted to become a doc- my marks are good- last report card average -> 90%. However- its hard for many high school students to "understand" the steps in post secondary education. I have and am taking all the sciences (bio,chem,physics,Math30,math31) See- I wanted to know what you guys think about taking Nursing first and then applying to Med school.- I mean- It would kind of support as a back up career if i happened to not go forward, and if i did- i'd have the clinical experience to apply to med school. I would just like to know if this is a good idea- and how it compares to that of getting a science degree- and trying to get into med school from there. Plz - Ian wong- i know your busy- i can totally understand that- i mean you being in med school and all- but if anyone reading this -has advice for me- it would be greatly appreciated if they could share them with me. By the way- i'm registering for the U of C next month- so i'm kind of stressed in that i'm running out of time to think of the steps i wanna take in my career life. Thanks :)

Sara

Guest Ian Wong

If you aren't interested in nursing, then you might well consider leaving that spot open to someone who is. I think that you will get stronger preparation in the sciences (for writing the MCAT, etc) by going the science method. I think you'll also leave yourself a wider range of flexibility in jobs by going science. Bottom line for me is that if you can't envision yourself in nursing and don't see yourself being happy with it as a career, then I'd stick with sciences and go from there.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

I am interested in Nursing- but MOSTLY - medicine. Nursing gives you the advantange of having the experience of being in that "atmosphere." And i mean - alot of the stuff learned in Nursing - is similar to the sciences...Ian - sincerely- i understand that during med interviews- they'd be kind of biased towards the fact that i had "taken someone else's spot" and well - "Changed my mind" but don't they ask the question in many interviews " what would you do if you're not accepted in Med school" Two of my friends told me thats one of the first questions they ask- and - what about lawyers and engineers that want to do med? do they get the same biased reaction is some cases like nurses? Thanks Ian- your respones have given me a different perception of things- but you know a whole lot more than i do. Tell me honestly do nurses stand a chance? at all? aren't the positives of being a nurse and entering med school considered? :D thanks

Guest not rex morgan

Sara. I think Ian's point is that if you are not interested in BEING a nurse, you should leave the training spot open for those who are. I understand you would find the training valuable, but with the shortage of nurses, it would do the population more good to train those who intend to work in the nursing field. I looked at it this way. I learned alot in the basic sciences, and worked in the field for a bit, and got a great perspective on how research, which is imperative to medicine, works. There is a person who was a nurse in our class (their could be more, I'm tired). I know this person worked for a bit, then decided med would be a more suitable career. People change their minds. If you are taking nursing for the sole purpose as a conduit into medicine, it won't get you in the back door. As for engineers and lawyers going into med, I don't believe we are experiencing a shortage of them, so that situation is a little bit different. The first two years of medicine include physiology, genetics, pharmacology...those would also be majors that would prepare you for med. Think about it.

Archived