Premed 101 Forums

UWO Modules

Any input from any current/past UWOers would be very much appreciated.

I'm really having trouble deciding on a module for next year. Lots of them sound interesting, but then I find something that sounds awful about each one that I'm interested in. Are these things that I think would be issues really that bad?

Path/Tox sounds interesting, but do you think the workload in 3rd year would be crazy, because there are 4.5 mandatory science courses, including a full year of phys, pharm, path and anatomy?

Physiology also sounds interesting, but I'm scared of 3130Y because it means that I'd need to take 6 courses in one of the semesters. Is it that big of a deal? Is 3130Y an okay course, or is it stressful? Also, how are the other phys courses?

Biochemistry sounds interesting, too, but having to do all of those labs and lab reports in 3380G sounds pretty bad to me, especially because I'm really slow at labs so I find them really stressful. Is this course okay? Also, I had trouble with Brandl's material for Biochem 2280A - is this material what most of the upper year biochem courses are like?

If anyone has any advice I would be eternally grateful and I would shower them with kittens and rainbows.

I don't think I want to do Med Sci, though, because:

(1) It's probably a good idea to do a thesis, in terms of doing a MSc after undergrad.

(2) I was looking at the actual module and the course constraints, and it would be hard to take lots of the fourth year courses. For example, I couldn't do most of the 4th year Physiology courses because Physiology 3130Y is restricted. (But that brings me back to my question of whether or not Physiology 3130Y is horrid.)

Any input on these concerns? Or any of the BMSc courses - pretty please?

Hey

I'm in third year right now at uwo so I have some experience in the matter. I started this year in clinical biochem but half way through I realized I didn't much care for biochemistry that was purely biochemistry i.e. 3381/2 but I enjoyed the human biochem 3385 and clinical bicohem 3386 so I decided to switch to med sci. The lab course 3380G is apparently hell and since I do like my GPA I decided to drop it as I don't really think its necessary to put yourself through that type of stress when ultimately you want to do medicine. 3381/2 seem to be similar to 2280A in that you learn some of the same things again like protein structure but it goes into far greater depth. If you have any other questions I am also enrolled in both pathologies. Before switching my module I did some research in enrolling in master programs without thesis and it is completely possible if you have some other research experience.

Thanks so much! That's all very helpful.

Where did you find the information about doing a master's without a thesis? I think my worry about doing a master's is what's really making me think I should do a thesis, so if I could verify that I wouldn't need to, it would really help.

Thanks so much! That's all very helpful.

Where did you find the information about doing a master's without a thesis? I think my worry about doing a master's is what's really making me think I should do a thesis, so if I could verify that I wouldn't need to, it would really help.

I know someone currently doing his masters that did the general medsci. He does say he regrets it now as it would've been a good experience but it didn't stop him from being able to do his masters.

I'm currently in physiology. Phys 3130Y isn't terrible, it's almost entirely group projects that everyone does fairly well on. The exams aren't during the exam period so you wouldn't have 6 exams all at once. It's a bit of a pain to have 6 courses but it's not too bad overall. I definitely wouldn't let it deter you from doing an honours spec in phys.

Archived