Premed 101 Forums

Non Trad: Starting Over - Need Advice !

Hi all,

So I'm swallowing my life, pride and denial and returning to school in the fall to complete a second undergrad. I will be 25 when I start (gulp). Here are my stats:

-Graduated BSc. Honours Environmental Science, small east coast school, 2009. cGPA = 3.05 (upward trend, thesis)

-Currently completing an MA, public policy (health/environmental) Carleton University, about a 3.85 GPA (course based, full grad scholarship)

-Tons of non profit work in environmental field with lots of research experience in local/international contaminants, water policy, sanitation, human rights type stuff, copy editor for student journal, (all the kinds of things I will continue to pursue)

I need advice on planning my next possibly 4 years. I am very interested in the Health Sciences program at Ottawa U, and Epidemiology. I had applied to epidemiology at Ottawa U this year, and was not accepted, likely due to my poor undergrad cGPA.

So, should I enrol in Health Sciences, and complete the prereqs for meds in 2 years, and then either finish a 3rd year or RE-apply to epidemiology, OR should I do just a general science or undeclared degree and take prereqs plus the health sciences options? The thing is i took a ton of basic sciences (chem bio) in my first 2 years of undergrad, but did very poorly, so I'm basically starting over.

Also, does anyone have any other advice on how I can plan my path?? I realize many applicants with 3.9 second undergrads, and great ECs never get in. Realistically, I want to set this up so I CAN apply to meds, and if I cannot get in, have the option to work as an epidemiologist/in public health, while still applying.

Also, given I will be going back as a 'first year' student, already having an MA under my belt, what work opportunities could there be within the school? ie. TAing or research assistantships?

I love this field and am passionate about it. I could eventually see myself loving internal medicine, endocrinology or working in public health on chronic/infectious diseases if i get the epi under my belt. I believe I have the drive and the will, just need some advice for this long, daunting path.

Definitely have a look at the stickies. Lots of valuable information there.

For one look at which schools you have the best chance at and see their policies (i.e. take best two years or last two, etc etc ) and stats required to be competitive.

Keep in mind your courses you did in your first undergrad can be transfered over to your second degree. So you can finish in maybe two years.

Archived