Premed 101 Forums

Question about post-grad diplomas.

I was reading my FP's bio and noticed this:

"graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1982. He completed his Family Practice residency at the University of Toronto in 1984, and his Diploma in Sports Medicine in 1989."

I knew sports injuries were his "speciality", but didn't know he had some extra certification for it

Are these taken at med school as well? I knew about fellowships but had no idea about post-grad medical diplomas.

I was reading my FP's bio and noticed this:

"graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1982. He completed his Family Practice residency at the University of Toronto in 1984, and his Diploma in Sports Medicine in 1989."

I knew sports injuries were his "speciality", but didn't know he had some extra certification for it

Are these taken at med school as well? I knew about fellowships but had no idea about post-grad medical diplomas.

In FP, you can tailor your practice by doing various +1 and they are offered at all medical faculties. There are many and you can even "make your own program" at some schools.

These are the +1 that I know of: pallative care, care of the elderly, sports med, emerg, anes, ob/gyn, minor surgeries

There are also lots of short (a few months) part time courses available for family docs if they want to learn specific areas (like derm etc.)

Does that mean they can effectively replace a dermatologist?

What is the purpose?

edit: just saw mm's post that clarifies it a bit, still I'm not entirely sure of the application as those fields are other specialities. I suppose it's to deal with minor issues in those particular areas?

A few months, full time?

Does that mean they can effectively replace a dermatologist?

What is the purpose?

edit: just saw mm's post that clarifies it a bit, still I'm not entirely sure of the application as those fields are other specialities. I suppose it's to deal with minor issues in those particular areas?

A few months, full time?

They get extra training so they can handle a bit more than the ordinary family doc, so they don't have to refer as often. They would still refer the more complicated stuff.

They get extra training so they can handle a bit more than the ordinary family doc, so they don't have to refer as often. They would still refer the more complicated stuff.

I guess that's the part I was looking for, "a bit more, so they don't have to refer as often".

Thanks.

Archived