Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters for Medical School

Hey everyone!

I'm thinking of applying to med school this fall and I was wondering when I should start asking for reference letters. How many letters do we need? Do we need a certain amount from profs/volunteer coordinators etc/employers?

If you could shed some insight on this, that would be greatly appreciated! (:

Thanks! :)

I think it is never too early to start asking for reference letters (or at least planning who you will get them from)...For one of my referees (a prof of mine) I emailed her in April or May and she didn't respond until August, when I was deeply in need of a reference letter from a prof, and I got one from her and went on to work in her lab where I am now (as I was rejected my first time applying).

Most likely, however, you will not need any references sent until late summer at the earliest (so you need to maintain close contact with your referees until then). Also, you do not want to bother them too much now, as you will have to do so in the future when you need the letters (depending on how many schools you are applying to).

Most schools ask for three references...the kind of referees needed depend on the school. Some, like UBC for example, require a reference from a professional (like a family doctor or employer), a community person (volunteer coordinator for example), and a professor. Others, like many of the US schools want at least two reference letters from professors that have taught you; some US schools require that the professor taught you a basic science like chem, bio, etc.. Hope that was helpful! Please let me know if you have more questions about this.

The amount of letters you need differs between universities, so I really suggest that you look at the application information posted on the universities you plan to apply to.

Another tip: Apparently (or so I've read somewhere in these forums) some medical schools have a minimum number of letters you should provide THAT ARE DIFFERENT from maximum number of letters that will be accepted (i.e. you need to submit X letters for a complete application, but you can actually submit more than that), so read through their application information carefully.

Do we need a certain amount from profs/volunteer coordinators etc/employers?

If I remember correctly: No. I don't think medical schools ask for a specific number of letters from people of a specific relationship to the applicant/position of employment.

Good luck!

If I recall correctly, I started asking for reference letters around August-September the fall that I was applying - usually 1-2 months before the due date of the application. I gave the initial heads up that I wanted a letter around August and then I supplied forms/more details as they came in.

Do we need a certain amount from profs/volunteer coordinators etc/employers?

Some schools have specific requirements for how they want this. Check their sites.

For those schools that leave it open and up to you, here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Having references from people who KNOW YOU WELL and can write GOOD THINGS about you is preferred. If a volunteer coordinator who you've worked with can write a better letter than a prof who you only saw a couple times in an 800 student class, go with the volunteer coord.

2) Having variety can be beneficial. For instance, having 1 letter from a prof, 1 from an employer, and 1 from a volunteer coordinator might give a more wholesome picture of who you are than 3 letters all from biochemistry profs (provided all individuals know you equally well).

However, it's hard to lay out set rules for this (unless the school has specific requirements). Make a well thought-out decision!

• 2 weeks later...
I think it is never too early to start asking for reference letters (or at least planning who you will get them from)...

+++++1. It is NEVER too early. Plus to get the best reference letters, don't expect to just waltz into somebody's office and say, "Hey wanna write me a reference letter?". Even if you KNOW the person well, give it time, and several visits. I visited the people I asked for reference letters several times, first to discuss my plans of medical school, second to ask for their advice (people love giving advice!), and finally to ask if they'd be willing to write me a reference letter since they knew I was aiming for med school. By the third or fourth time they've talked to you in this context, you've established a connection with them and have implanted the idea in their head that you'd be a good applicant. You're patient, not pushy, good at communicating, humble enough to ask for their advice, and not leaving things to the last minute. All good qualities :)

But be genuine and don't cross that annoying threshold. And if you're asking for their advice, I hope you actually want their advice.

For those schools that leave it open and up to you, here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Having references from people who KNOW YOU WELL and can write GOOD THINGS about you is preferred. If a volunteer coordinator who you've worked with can write a better letter than a prof who you only saw a couple times in an 800 student class, go with the volunteer coord.

2) Having variety can be beneficial. For instance, having 1 letter from a prof, 1 from an employer, and 1 from a volunteer coordinator might give a more wholesome picture of who you are than 3 letters all from biochemistry profs (provided all individuals know you equally well).

Also super useful advice!!

Archived