Premed 101 Forums

Which MCAT prep book/package to buy?

Head Squeeze

Hey, I want to start preparing for mcat for the first time. Which MCAT prep books should I consider buying? and how to get sample/previous MCAT exams?

I am planning to write MCAT in 2013. So no writing sample I believe. Would it have an extra section is its place (psychology + other things)? I want to focus on verbal reasoning mainly. Is there a specific package/book that I should buy?

Thanks.

Hey, I want to start preparing for mcat for the first time. Which MCAT prep books should I consider buying? and how to get sample/previous MCAT exams?

I am planning to write MCAT in 2013. So no writing sample I believe. Would it have an extra section is its place (psychology + other things)? I want to focus on verbal reasoning mainly. Is there a specific package/book that I should buy?

Thanks.

I'd also like to know, I'm still having a lot of difficulty choosing. I currently have Kaplan ones from last year but didn't fare very well with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On a related note: do you think it will be possible to work full time, study for 4-5 hours a day using EK and AAMC practice tests? Work will be about 8.5 - 9 hours a day.

This question gets asked a lot. I believe the consensus is...it depends, haha. If you have a strong foundation in the sciences and some skill with standardized tests then go for it. I volunteered for 8hrs/week and that was pushing it. I followed the SN2 schedule using BR, EK verbal, and all the AAMC practise tests. I also bought some BR practise tests, which were very good practise. BR has terrible verbal which is why most will supplement with EK. Princeton has good Verbal as well. I will say that the Princeton review online component is exceptional. It has all the AAMC tests, and a ton of their own. But its strength is that they designed it to look and feel just like the real thing and there are a number of features that allow you to track your progress. I believe you have to sign up for the course to get access to it. I'm not a 100% sure on that though. The course is expensive and not worth the time or money imo.

Archived