Premed 101 Forums

Too late to do research?

I really want to get a research position in a lab this summer to get a feel of working a lab environment. I have been messaging PI's and professors since the end of February and I have either gotten no response (even after following up) or that their labs are full for the summer.

Is it too late to get work in a lab for the summer?

Agreed. I'm pretty sure it's too late to apply for grant-funded positions (some profs even start recruiting for these as early as Sept/October).

The above poster is right: if you're dead-set on doing research, just keep emailing away. Try and talk to some profs at schools and see if they know of any open projects. You may or may not get paid. The chances are slim at this point, but I once did manage to get a basic science lab position in late March by doing this so don't give up!

It's late, but not too late. I just found a paid summer position yesterday after starting in mid-March. And the first question the PI asked me was "why so late?". So maybe prepare an answer to that if you get an interview.

As others said, don't ask for payment at this point.

It's late, but not too late. I just found a paid summer position yesterday after starting in mid-March. And the first question the PI asked me was "why so late?". So maybe prepare an answer to that if you get an interview.

As others said, don't ask for payment at this point.

How'd you find the paid position? emailed profs?

How did you ask them for a paid position? If I say a summer position, would that be considered paid by them?

I didn't talk about my financial expectations at all so as to not sound desperate for a job. I just said research position.

Archived