Premed 101 Forums

Strange Stuff

Guest Gomer

Guest SmileyKitty

Sorry Macyear3 but YOU'RE WRONG. First of all, this particular health science programme has only been operating for TWO years and therefore NO ONE from that programme has even applied to med schools. Sure, may be OTHER BHSC programmes dropped the ball, but we will have to wait, after 2003 and 2004 to see the true results of how good this programme is. I mean it is the hottest thing McMaster has to offer according to Maclean's magazine 2002. Now I'm not saying all of those students in BHSC will get in, I'm just saying it would have an impact on the statistics of those who do.

I noticed that alot of people seem to be replying to Gomer's post. But if you look at the date, it's an old message. I'm pretty sure he ended up getting into UofA (2005 class).

SmileyKitty

I didn't see anything in Macyear3's post that suggested that applicants from your program have been unsuccessful in getting into medical school (it seemed as though he knew none of them have applied yet). He was only making a prediction based on his knowledge of med school admissions. Unless you can tell the future, you can't say he is wrong. Don't get defensive about it.

BTW, what do you think the impact of the BHSC applicants will be on the statistics of those who get in?

Merry Christmas everyone! :)

Guest macyear3

Thank you BC Girl

I appreciate you sticking up for me. Smiley Kitty I really don't know why you are so wound up. It's great your excited about your program but the reality is it won't ensure acceptance into an MD program escpecially MAC's where they have publically stated the target is set at 7 applicants. So although you may believe it's the best program on earth, the Mac MD program will not be filled by 160 Bsch graduates and thank god for that. Although Macleans may have mentioned the program in the survey, it does not mean that MED schools will jump up in excitement. They still wnat diversity, people who are generally interested in medicine and improving society. During our admission orientation the topic of the Bsch program came up and the panel said that all schools make a real effort to ensure that the classes are not filled with Keeners who have not interacted / engaged in group work with people who are not overachievers. UofT has publically stated (in the press) that it will prefer students from its own progams over a "premed" program because it is crucial for students to interact with others who are not focused on medicine. Also they feel their MD program is strong enough that everything about medicine can be and should be taught in the MD program. I'm sorry KatieKAt you are not a superior applicant based on your program and despite being fed this gibber in your program the outside world views things differently.

To all the students, please do not focus on programs that you think will get you into medical school, explore subject matter that really makes you want to study hard and get creative. To those who are in science programs I apologize for making you feel "boring" but I think the point was get involved in your subject matter where you can convey your passion for learning and applying what you have learned to the real world. In Ontario, things are so competitive that cleaning beakers and shadowing physicians won't differentiate you unfortunaltely.

Good Luck again

MDyear3

Hi Ian and Macyear3,

I appreciate your replies and I agree with you guys, but what you talk about is not the impression that I got from Macyear3's initial post. Rather, Macyear3 conveyed to me that if you are in the sciences and you do things like lab work, varsity sports, hospital work..., you're not really exploring your interests but rather increasing your chances of getting into medical school, though this may be true in some cases, such generalizations screw people who actually find these types of work interesting and have done many excellent things in these areas (not just washing glassware or serving ice water to patients!). I must admit that my first post concentrated on academics, but I did not write it to get reassurance from anyone as to the state of my being an 'exciting science student'... I know I am an interesting person and I enjoy what I do outside and inside of academia, science-related or not. As to the boredom issue, well, I must agree, reading hundreds of applications of any sort isn't exactly a walk in the park, but I hope that your boredom does not influence your objectivity in evaluating the applicants and that you evaluate each with the same level of scrutiny as the very first application that was placed before you (yes, even if it is the 499th science student-lab worker-international volunteer).

Happy holidays!

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Jess,

The reality of being a human being, however, is that not everything is going to be memorable. Ask anyone of this the night before a big exam. :) Therefore, you want to skew the odds as much as possible in your favour by writing something that will make the reader sit up and take notice. Unfortunately, as alluded above, med schools are looking to take the best people to fill their individual classes. If your application is relatively similar to everyone elses, then it becomes much more a game of chance as to whether you will get the 128th seat at UBC medical school versus the other applicant with the same GPA/MCAT's and similar/related extra-curriculars.

When it comes to getting into med school, there's way too many qualified applicants for the number of available seats. Therefore, you've got to make your application as noticeable and memorable as possible, while fulfilling all their requested criteria and not getting too creative or bizarre.

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest Sabrina

Hi Gomer,

I'm a current student at UfT and I can assure you that from what I've heard from those at UfT, it is not anymore or less bias than any other medical school. It's true that you have very high credentials, but once again the emphasis is on something "unique" and not merely marks or exceptional extracurricular activities. I'm sure that what they did, as strange as it might seem must have been based on something concrete (so I do support your search for the answer to why you were not accepted) In my opinion, I think you should continue applying to other Canadian school (ie. Mac, Queens, Western, etc). I've had several friends who have applied to UfT, been rejected and accepted to Mac and Queens. I guess the point is different school, like people are subjective in their own ways, no matter how much they say they are not (although one thing for sure, UfT does not favour their student or those from other prestigeous university over those who are not) Just an aside, my friend attended Western and was accepted into UfT not long ago too and her credentials are not much different from yours. All the best.

Archived