Premed 101 Forums

Doing MCAT without having done orgo/bio chem

Curi0user

I know some of you have done it, but do you think it's a bad idea to do it?

I'm in second year and only doing my chemistry this summer and next year, so I'm a bit behind.

I want to take a stab at the MCAT next summer but I would not have any background on orgo/biochem.

Thoughts?

I know some of you have done it, but do you think it's a bad idea to do it?

I'm in second year and only doing my chemistry this summer and next year, so I'm a bit behind.

I want to take a stab at the MCAT next summer but I would not have any background on orgo/biochem.

Thoughts?

You will have some background in biochem if you've taken phys and biol1010 and thats all the background you need in biochem for the mcat. I personally found cell bio to be more useful than biochem for the mcat.

For orgo, yes you will be at a disadvantage but remember that only 20% of the BS is orgo... and many people take it without a background in orgo.

I'll be preparing to write the MCAT whilst taking Organic Chemistry. Bit scared but I think it will be doable.

Anyone have any thoughts on prep courses? I'm thinking of taking the prep101 course.

Everyone I know who has taken one has said it was a waste of money. I tell everyone who is thinking about taking a prep course this statistic. Guess what happens? They don't listen to me and end up becoming part of the statistic.

I wrote with no orgo or bio knowledge - I used Princeton Review textbooks and nothing else to study. Orgo was really hard to learn alone, I actually ended up really focusing on bio and taking "educated guesses" on the orgo passages after just reading through the orgo textbook twice before the exam (and not doing practice questions) :rolleyes: . Seemed to work out ok. That being said, I agree with kylamonkey that it would be easier to study and you would likely do better if you take an orgo course.

Good thing you brought that up as I've been sceptical of taking a prep. course from the start. I'm going to buy the EK books and just study of those. But pressure from parents telling me to take a prep course is building up. They think that I'm just trying to save money but in reality I'm trying to save time lol. Anyone disciplined and hard working enough should be able to get by with the prep. books alone. All of the in-class instruction has already been given to me through lectures so I don't feel the need for that. I'm sure I could scavenge up the MCAT practice tests on my own or split the costs of them between other pre-meds/friends. That covers almost everything what a prep. course would provide.

Anyone else have more insight on taking a prep. course versus not taking one? I mean, it couldn't hurt taking one could it? I just want to the get the highest score possible on the MCAT and study/write for it only once, so I can get it over with early. Money is not a factor (as everything I do as a pre-med I see it as an investment in my future). What is more important to me is my time and score on the MCAT.

I think it depends how you learn and if you need structure to be motivated to study.

If you learn a lot in lectures, and like having material summarized and delivered to you, I think a prep course would be helpful. It also puts pressure on you to keep up with the readings and practice questions (in some prep courses the instructors will quiz people during class).

If you learn better reading at your own pace, I would recommend buying some sort of prep textbooks to study from, and skip spending all the money for an instructor to repeat the information available in these books.

Personally, I signed up for a prep course, went to the first 2 weeks, found it relatively unhelpful (plus a waste of time due to the commute, etc.), and spent the rest of the summer just studying by myself using the textbooks from that course. So as you said it comes down to discipline, self-motivation, and learning style. I don't learn a lot from lectures during school - I have to go home and read the notes over myself - so that's something you can use as an indicator for whether you would find the prep course helpful.

Everyone I know who has taken one has said it was a waste of money. I tell everyone who is thinking about taking a prep course this statistic. Guess what happens? They don't listen to me and end up becoming part of the statistic.

not to be a jerk or whatev, but there are a few people who think the courses were good. a few do say stuff like "it was a 2000 dollar reminder to keep on schedule." and they do provide you with a solid amount of practise material... yet i know you can get that elsewhere. still, there are a few who would vouch for the courses. as has been said time and again, though, it's really the individual who determines whether or not it's worth it.

i should mention that another pro of taking a course (if you have a good instructor) is that you're provided with someone who has proven themselves to be proficient at writing the exam and who is paid to offer you tips and respond to all your nagging questions that might just move you from a 10 vr to an 11. didn't meant to be a jerk, just trying to add to the discussion :o .

OK- that year I only wrote it because a friend was also writing it. I didn't "study", at least not formally, but I went through the EK books and tried my best. I was working FT and "studied" on my time off, and pulled off a 9 in BS. Your results may vary. :)

well thats not bad at all.. i imagine if someone works really hard it should be doable.

Does anyone have any advice on a certain prep course?

not to be a jerk or whatev, but there are a few people who think the courses were good. a few do say stuff like "it was a 2000 dollar reminder to keep on schedule." and they do provide you with a solid amount of practise material... yet i know you can get that elsewhere. still, there are a few who would vouch for the courses. as has been said time and again, though, it's really the individual who determines whether or not it's worth it.

i should mention that another pro of taking a course (if you have a good instructor) is that you're provided with someone who has proven themselves to be proficient at writing the exam and who is paid to offer you tips and respond to all your nagging questions that might just move you from a 10 vr to an 11. didn't meant to be a jerk, just trying to add to the discussion :o .

Sounds like the words of someone who was employed by one of these prep classes.. The qualifications aren't very high to get a job with them.

If you're a slacker then the $2000 will do absolutely nothing to improve motivation.

Sounds like the words of someone who was employed by one of these prep classes.. The qualifications aren't very high to get a job with them.

If you're a slacker then the $2000 will do absolutely nothing to improve motivation.

haha i was afraid you might respond that way... no i'm not employed by them, if that's what you were suggesting lol (in any case, i heard that kaplan had a 90th percentile cut off in every section. that's pretty solid, no?).

as i said, it depends on the individual. so, yeah, if you're a slacker it won't help. if, however, you just need an extra push, some guidance, or what have you, a prep course may help. just trying to add to the discussion. i'd agree with these two:

Mostly elbow grease, IMO - you basically have to put aside at least 2-3 months to devote to full time studying. Doing lots and lots of practice tests and content review. Personally, I needed to take a Kaplan class to get me going on a schedule, otherwise I probably would have had a hard time organizing myself. But they are expensive, and there are other ways to come up with a study schedule if you have the willpower to stick to one. I got a 28 on my first practice test with Kaplan and a 39R on the actual exam. No, I am not a Kaplan shill, but I think their course is actually pretty good if you can scrape up the $$$

The prep course got me off my ass. Basically I (and I use "I" very liberally here) paid $2000 for a whip.

Archived