Premed 101 Forums

What makes UBC Unique?

I have read through the UBC website, but can anyone help me understand how UBC is different from other schools?

All schools have PBL, lectures, labs, small group discussions, and clinical electives... What exactly makes UBC unique in this regard?

In other words, why choose UBC over other schools?

Honest Answer: location and weather.
Pretty much. Also for me it was the proximity to home. UBC's education is on par with any other Canadian med school, but what sets it apart from the other schools is its location. I lived in Montreal for a long time, but I still prefer Vancouver as a city to live in.

I would say more the location than the weather, haha. but, I mainly chose to go to UBC because BC is where i wanted to live, I didn't want to live in Alberta or Ontario, my friends and family are out here and in the end I know that which school I attend has little impact on my future success so I chose to go to the school that I could best survive... and I cope better with family and friends so UBC it is.

UBC also has a very good reputation internationally and is ranked quite high on several of the [not so trustworthy] world rankings. I believe U of T is ranked first in Canada and depending on the source UBC and McGill fight for second.

Supportive staff, tons of clubs, lots of shadowing opportunities, in the clinic starting first semester, full cadaver dissections (not just prosections), not so much PBL that you get sick of it, we also now have a full radiology curriculum that also starts first semester (I don't know about other schools but it is a recent addition for UBC), relaxed group of students, curriculum renewal is working on converting to complete P/F system, it is partial right now some courses H/P/F some P/F. list goes on

The most important info I can give you is in the first paragraph, go where you will enjoy life/school the most, your future success depends on you not the school you choose

:rolleyes:

Okay... you called my bluff... but I guess I am just thankful after talking to my sister's boyfriend how did dental school in the states and the ENTIRE curriculum was taught via PBL, save time spent in clinic, and they had NO OBJECTIVES GIVEN. Haha, that is brutal.

Ha I was gonna say which "weather" are you speaking of? If anything, I would've thought to recommend to move AWAY from this weather!

Anyways, I am from Vancouver as well so that plays a huge component in all of this.

Thanks for the answers though Larrivee! That's exactly what I was looking for.

What are some things that you would like to see changed about the program though?

Must be a good thing that they add a formal radiology component now for the new students.

It was brutal that they removed the whole pharmacology section a few yrs back. People realize the problem once they move to preclinical/residency years. Hopefully now you will have a whole pharm block.

Wow, they had no pharmacology at all before? Therapeutics must've been a been a ***** to understand without that background....

It used to be a whole section of pharmacology along the first 2 years of medical school. Then they incorporated it into each block, but i think it was poorly done. Maybe it is better now...
I think pharmacology has been good so far but still a bit off at times, like learning about nerve blocks in the middle of pulmonary block was weird I thought, but generally the pharmacology lectures have some tie-in with the PBL case objectives or the block itself.

Archived