Premed 101 Forums

June 30th defense date for grad applicants

How strict is this deadline? If people in medical school who defended after June 30th could comment that would be great!

Deborah has stated on the blog that if students submit their thesis and are approved for defense before June 30th then there is some flexibility for the actual defense. But I don't know how much...can we do it in August before classes start?

How strict is this deadline? If people in medical school who defended after June 30th could comment that would be great!

Deborah has stated on the blog that if students submit their thesis and are approved for defense before June 30th then there is some flexibility for the actual defense. But I don't know how much...can we do it in August before classes start?

Hi invincible110, I can give you more insight into this. I'm also a PhD student. PM isn't working, e-mail me at lymphangiogenesis at gmail if you like! :D

Guest Fresh_Underwear

I personally know people who have graduated and defended after June 30th deadline and got into U of T med. In fact I knew a person who began his thesis writing and defense date arrangements after he got his U of T acceptance and still managed to be part of the class come August. The deadline that is set is more or less an approximate date they would like you to finish. They also put it well ahead of the matriculation date cause they need buffer time to ensure you have completed your thesis before joining them next year.

So I guess if you defend in July, it should be still okay. I think Deborah mentioned this in her blog. I'll pull it up when I have time and can find it.

Edit: Found it!

on March 5, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Deborah,

Thanks for the awesome blog – its been very helpful so far. How strict is the June 30th defense date for admitted grad applicants? Can the date be delayed a few days (into July) if necessary?

Thanks!

on March 5, 2012 at 11:36 am

Hi AS. We can have some flexibility into July for a defense scheduling issue. We would only consider granting an extension if the thesis has already been submitted and approved for defense prior to June 30.

Thanks everyone! That's what I thought too before I read this message on the blog:

-------------------------------

Hello,

I will be graduating from a phD program in the August prior to classes beginning. Is that permitted, or is the June date mandatory? (It is a research based thesis)

Thank you.

on February 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Reply utmedadmissions

Hello KJ. We require that graduate applicants will have completed all requirements for their degree, including defense of a thesis if applicable, by no later than June 30 in the year of proposed admission. If you mean you will be defending your dissertation in August, then no, you would have to wait til the next year to apply. If you do mean “graduate” in August (i.e., have your degree conferred at convocation), then that is fine.

---------------------------

Archived