Premed 101 Forums

Carleton or Ryerson for Aerospace Engineering?

Hi, I've applied to both Carleton and Ryerson. I applied to them, for two reasons:

1. Only a few universities offer Aerospace Engineering

2. I didn't want to apply to the higher ranked universities like UofT and University of British Columbia because, I read on this forum, that you should avoid those universities, if you want a high GPA to enter medicine later on.

I'm confused about which one to pick :S . My ultimate goal is to enter medicine, but if that doesn't work out, than a career in Aerospace Engineering would be still be great :). I'm prepared to do the necessary prerequisites at Uni for medicine.

I don't want to go to a unserious university, because, I'm quite a hard working student but I've noticed, some people saying, that Carleton is a bad school. Is that true? I want to keep Ryerson as a second choice, cause, I don't want to live in Toronto. Any advice?

Hi, I've applied to both Carleton and Ryerson. I applied to them, for two reasons:

1. Only a few universities offer Aerospace Engineering

2. I didn't want to apply to the higher ranked universities like UofT and University of British Columbia because, I read on this forum, that you should avoid those universities, if you want a high GPA to enter medicine later on.

I'm confused about which one to pick :S . My ultimate goal is to enter medicine, but if that doesn't work out, than a career in Aerospace Engineering would be still be great :). I'm prepared to do the necessary prerequisites at Uni for medicine.

I don't want to go to a unserious university, because, I'm quite a hard working student but I've noticed, some people saying, that Carleton is a bad school. Is that true? I want to keep Ryerson as a second choice, cause, I don't want to live in Toronto. Any advice?

I can't really help but say that Im currently doing a concurrent MA at Carleton with the faculty of engineering and have the most amazing prof from mech & aero. His name is Craig, and he's the best! Got an A+ in his class (he would likely be teaching you). Just saying :)

And, I always thought Carleton was not the 'best' school. But they offer a lot of funding, and in hindsight, its really not that bad IMO.

^^Thanks paloma22. But I'm still confused about which one to pick. :S I would think each university has its good and bad prof's. Someone told me, that at Ryerson, some of the prof's at UofT also teach at Ryerson.

The only thing that really attracts me to Carleton, is that, people say the campus is really beautiful.

Ryerson. They are really hands on so if you are that kind of person you'll be in luck. It's much easier than UT engineering (I know people will debate this and all, but no it's much easier and the bell curves seem much better.)

Though there is this whole "you go to Ry-hi" with the UT engineers, just so you know!

Ryerson. They are really hands on so if you are that kind of person you'll be in luck. It's much easier than UT engineering (I know people will debate this and all, but no it's much easier and the bell curves seem much better.)

Though there is this whole "you go to Ry-hi" with the UT engineers, just so you know!

Thanks Lmfaodot. I'm sort of like that, so maybe Ryerson is for me. :)

I don't mind the criticism from UofT engineers, cause their degree is so much more difficult, and they seem to work much more harder. I'd be like them too, if I were in there position. ;)

If you want to have aerospace as a backup, you will need to do a masters and potentially a PhD to be employable. This is a very "desirable" field of engineering, and most of the mechanical engineers at UBC (where I am) are either aerospace or biomed. I would suggest you do look at U of T and UBC because the strength of the program matters. Yes your grades will be lower, but if you're serious about doing this and having better opportunities should medicine not work out, the UofT and UBC degrees will be stronger as you apply to jobs and grad schools (based on research opportunities, funding, technical background).

This isn't to say that Carleton or Ryerson are bad, but do think about what you would do with aerospace and whether these schools close any doors for you.

For most things in Canada, the standing of the university matters for professional degrees, as the sector itself gives value to the name of the University. Alternatively, the standing of the University is unimportant if you are using it as a stepping stone to apply to a professional degree (Med, Dent, Pharm), as educational institutions don't give a lot of value to the name of the university itself, just your performance.

Carleton may not have a great reputation, but I've read Ryerson's aerospace program has been accredited since 1992 and its also a strong program in Canada. Surely, these could help my chances of applying for masters, if I do indeed decide to pursue a career as a aerospace engineer. The degree, is hardly offered by most universities, so I'm sure, this could help, in applying for masters/PhD as well. Also, many of the universities that do offer aerospace, just offer a masters in Aerospace.

For a Bachelors in Aerospace, other than Ryerson and Carleton, there was only Concordia, University of Manitoba, UofT, UofA, and UBC in Canada. And, the important thing to note about Concordia, University of Manitoba, UBC, UofA, and UofT, is that, the degree is Mechanical Engineering, with a specialization in Aerospace in the last two years. And because I wanted a high GPA, I cancelled out UofT and UBC from my options. With the choices I was left with, Ryerson and Carleton stood out, cause, the degree was only a Bachelors in Aerospace. So, that's the reason I chose those two.

But before I was considering medicine, I was initially planning to apply to McGill, UofT, UBC, and UofA. I still regret not applying to UofA, cause since its not as highly ranked as McGill, UofT, and UBC, I could have still had the chance to get a good GPA there. :(

Carleton may not have a great reputation, but I've read Ryerson's aerospace program has been accredited since 1992 and its also a strong program in Canada. Surely, these could help my chances of applying for masters, if I do indeed decide to pursue a career as a aerospace engineer. The degree, is hardly offered by most universities, so I'm sure, this could help, in applying for masters/PhD as well. Also, many of the universities that do offer aerospace, just offer a masters in Aerospace.

For a Bachelors in Aerospace, other than Ryerson and Carleton, there was only Concordia, University of Manitoba, UofT, UofA, and UBC in Canada. And, the important thing to note about Concordia, University of Manitoba, UBC, UofA, and UofT, is that, the degree is Mechanical Engineering, with a specialization in Aerospace in the last two years. And because I wanted a high GPA, I cancelled out UofT and UBC from my options. With the choices I was left with, Ryerson and Carleton stood out, cause, the degree was only a Bachelors in Aerospace. So, that's the reason I chose those two.

But before I was considering medicine, I was initially planning to apply to McGill, UofT, UBC, and UofA. I still regret not applying to UofA, cause since its not as highly ranked as McGill, UofT, and UBC, I could have still had the chance to get a good GPA there. :(

I can't tell if you're trolling with your comments or if you're serious. I don't think there's any reason why your grades would be lower at UBC or UofT unless there is something about the campus or the city that prevents you from studying. If you go to a smaller school, you will be a bigger fish in a smaller pond, but your grades should be about the same.

I can't tell if you're trolling with your comments or if you're serious. I don't think there's any reason why your grades would be lower at UBC or UofT unless there is something about the campus or the city that prevents you from studying. If you go to a smaller school, you will be a bigger fish in a smaller pond, but your grades should be about the same.

No, I'm being serious... I've read that UofT has a much more difficult engineering program, and that many people fail, and also, many students get low GPA's. I didn't want to risk getting a low GPA.

Mo's concerns are very reasonable. UofT is notorious for ruining lives with its marking schemes.

• 1 year later...

Archived