Premed 101 Forums

What should I do.....I need some advice!

Hi, I'm currently 3rd year undergrad (biochem major) at Carleton University (if there are any Carleton Uni undergrads here on this forum, holla back!!).

Recently, I've been thinking if becoming a dentist is a right choice for me.

I did ok in 1st year (~85% avg). 2nd year was kind of mediocre (three A's and three B's and oh how could i forget my first C+ in genetics). 3rd year....well, let's just say I prevented the worst case scenario by withdrawing 4 courses (biochem and org chem lecture courses, but I will be taking them again next year). Because of the course drops, I will be finishing only 3 courses this year (animal phys, biochem lab and microbio). I got B on ani phys and I am expecting to get A- or B+ in bioc lab and A+ in microbio. Now, I've calculated my best possible CGPA (excluding the 2nd year) after two more years of undergrad "as a part-time student (taking 6 courses per year)". Assuming I get A+'s in all the courses I will be taking, it's around 92~93%.

I've just written DAT this year. I think I did ok on it, and I am prbly gonna take it again this year to get higher mark (I think I gotta excel DAT to make up for the best possible CGPA).

I am thinking of applying to UFT, UOW, Mcg and prbly UFA. Would I have a chance to get accepted in the end? Gimme some advice on school selection and what I should do to enhance my appeal as a candidate. I am very aware of UFT and UOW admissions but just hit me with any additional information.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I'm currently 3rd year undergrad (biochem major) at Carleton University (if there are any Carleton Uni undergrads here on this forum, holla back!!).

I did ok in 1st year (~85% avg). 2nd year was kind of mediocre (three A's and three B's and oh how could i forget my first C+ in genetics). 3rd year....well, let's just say I prevented the worst case scenario by withdrawing 4 courses (biochem and org chem lecture courses, but I will be taking them again next year). Because of the course drops, I will be finishing only 3 courses this year (animal phys, biochem lab and microbio). I got B on ani phys and I am expecting to get A- or B+ in bioc lab and A+ in microbio. Now, I've calculated my best possible CGPA (excluding the 2nd year) after two more years of undergrad "as a part-time student (taking 6 courses per year)". Assuming I get A+'s in all the courses I will be taking, it's around 92~93%.

I've just written DAT this year. I think I did ok on it, and I am prbly gonna take it again this year to get higher mark (I think I gotta excel DAT to make up for the best possible CGPA).

I am thinking of applying to UFT, UOW, Mcg and prbly UFA. Would I have a chance to get accepted in the end? Gimme some advice on school selection and what I should do to enhance my appeal as a candidate. I am very aware of UFT and UOW admissions but just hit me with any additional information.

Wondered how you are getting on with your application

what was ur DAT scores?

Archived