Premed 101 Forums

What to do?!

:confused:

Hey all,

I am a Concordia student studying cell & molecular biology and want nothing more than to go into medical school. Unfortunately I did quite poorly in CEGEP Health Science, where most of my prereqs were taken. I am now doing much much better, but I am discouraged because of my dismal CEGEP years. What can I do? I volunteer in the emergency on a weekly basis, and have good ECs, my question is more about academics..

Thanks

MDreamer

It is counterproductive and takes your energy and focus to dwell on the past. Move past it and go forward doing your best. When the time comes apply broadly, including to all 4 Quebec med schools. Consider doing the MCAT that will allow you to apply outside of Quebec. I did poorly in Cegep, well @ undergrad and went directly to med school.

:confused:

Hey all,

I am a Concordia student studying cell & molecular biology and want nothing more than to go into medical school. Unfortunately I did quite poorly in CEGEP Health Science, where most of my prereqs were taken. I am now doing much much better, but I am discouraged because of my dismal CEGEP years. What can I do? I volunteer in the emergency on a weekly basis, and have good ECs, my question is more about academics..

Thanks

MDreamer

I can't comment on out of Quebec schools, but for Quebec, UdeM and Laval don't care about your cegep marks after 50 credits, they will only look at whether you did the prereqs. If you got 45 credits, Sherbrooke will only look at your prereqs courses as pass/fail, they reserve the right to reject you if you have more than 1 failures, but they could careless about whether you got 60 or 90. McGill on the other hand, will calculate a basic science GPA, your bad cegep marks can only be erased if you retake the courses, advanced courses will add up with basic courses but not replace them, but if you do the MCAT, they won't look at your basic science GPA.

Hope that helps.

You're not in a bad position. Only a handful of schools look at CEGEP grades. The only one I know is Calgary, that looks at your 2nd year. US MD schools do not look at them for sure.

Doesn't BC too look at them? I think I once read on their website that they look at them, or maybe it's different this year.

You're not in a bad position. Only a handful of schools look at CEGEP grades. The only one I know is Calgary, that looks at your 2nd year. US MD schools do not look at them for sure.

Would I have to redo the classes though since I took y prereqs in CEGEP? Like how would US med schools see that I took the classes if they dont look at CEGEP

Doesn't BC too look at them? I think I once read on their website that they look at them, or maybe it's different this year.

Hm, it looks like I did report my CEGEP grades to them. It seems like they also screwed up my grade conversion (lower than both my CEGEP and undergrad), so I don't know if they actually used my CEGEP grades or not.

Would I have to redo the classes though since I took y prereqs in CEGEP? Like how would US med schools see that I took the classes if they dont look at CEGEP

No. For the US MD schools, you submit your CEGEP courses but not your CEGEP grades. My application ended up having 5 years in total: 2 ungraded from CEGEP, 2 graded from undergrad and 1 in progress from undergrad.

Yes you still need to send them your CEGEP transcripts. They'll only verify the course code, course name, number of credits, etc.

If you got straight 60s, you're good to go :P. But if you failed one of your prereqs in CEGEP, then I don't know how they'll view it.

Archived