Premed 101 Forums

UK undergrad degree

Hello,

I completed my undergrad at Cambridge Univ in the Uk, and received a 2:1. I've had this assessed by WES and unfortunately it comes out as pretty low.....a 3.2 GPA, even though this is considered to be a good degree overseas! Is there any point in even applying to med school? I've since completed a MSc and PhD in Ontario.

Thanks for any advice!

You're limited to McMaster and NOSM in Ontario for GPA cutoffs. If you don't have any northern Ontario connections NOSM is very unlikely. Apply to McMaster, see what happens! You'll get a 4% boost for having done both an masters and a PhD.

Have you written the MCAT? You'll need a good verbal score for McM and a lot of the rest depends on Casper.

Otherwise you'll need a second UG to make the cutoffs for the other Ontario med schools. I'm not sure about schools in other provinces.

You also meet the cut-off for U of T graduate applicants, which is 3.00. I think you should apply to U of T because they put greater emphasis on research and have a supplemental application for students who have completed a graduate degree.

That being said, my undergrad GPA was 3.0, and I did a grad degree. I applied broadly in Canada and to a few US schools, but was rejected from all.

Must have been an amazing experience studying at Cambridge and all!!!! Why not medicine in UK? people write UKCAT and if they sufficient $ wiggle room, they go to UK.

Ireland might be something to consider giving prestige of your degree.

Canada's little notorious with GPA, but... yes U of C, MAC, Queen's, NOSM are all possibilities.

Thank everyone for these ideas.

I did consider the Uk, but am already pretty settled in Ontario...husband, two kids, and am 34, and we're not really in a situation where we could make a big move, especially financially, so am hoping to find a way to make it work here. It seems that I could give a couple of places a shot like Mac and U of T but may need to consider a 2nd UG. I am writing the MCAT this summer, and have pretty good research productivity (10 first author papers, CIHR/SSHRC grants, a couple of research awards), but the GPA is really the problem. When I finished at Cambridge my primary supervisor there wrote a letter for my grad school applications saying he felt my degree was equivalent to about a 3.7 GPA in Canada (prior to Cambridge he was a prof at Western for 10 years), so I can include this letter, but Mac relies solely on the WES assessment. U of T said they would consider the letter, so I guess I will have to try and see!

Archived