Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...
Really? I figured it would be easier to get into the NS campus based on the sheer number of spots available.

It's true that there are more spots, but there are also more applicants. Also, when looking pack at the "accepted/waitlested/rejected" thread, the lowest scores of NB people admitted are lower than the lowest NS scores.

so in my case, if I get my degree from U of T in june 2013, move there same summer, to NB and apply for class entering in 2014 while working from mid 2013 summer to sept 2014. I will be a NB resident?

"Indicate the last province or territory in Canada you lived for 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of

your study period for the 2011-2012 academic year (while not studying full time at a post-secondary

educational institution).

If outside New Brunswick, indicate dates

from to

Province / Territory YYYY MM YYYY MM

If you indicated New Brunswick you are considered a resident of New Brunswick. Go to section 4. If you

did not indicate New Brunswick, you must apply to the province/territory you have indicated."

P.S I am single guy.

They are becoming more strict on the residency requirements. Dal NB is for new brunswick students. The fact that you would come to NB just to make it easier for yourself to get into medical school is a cop out. You could potentially be taking away seats from people actually from the province who are committed to staying. If you want to make it, put the hard work in and you should make it no problem at any campus.

^ I agree.

Considering that the interview is in November, the adcom will likely be able to tell whether you are truly a resident or just came there to get the advantage.

If you still have time to graduate from an undergraduate degree, put your best into being a viable IP candidate for Ontario.

^ I agree.

Considering that the interview is in November, the adcom will likely be able to tell whether you are truly a resident or just came there to get the advantage.

If you still have time to graduate from an undergraduate degree, put your best into being a viable IP candidate for Ontario.

But the time I can spend here waiting for rejections (being pessimistic) could be changed to make sure that I get in somewhere, in a CAN school.

There were people in my school who went to Germany and other parts of Europe, whose websites for MD schools are unheard at PM101. If you were to open them, they will not be in English (have to select). They did so to get their education. I mean like that is how much they want it.

So I think there is nothing wrong with moving to another province and still being here in the Canada.

It's not a question of how badly you want it or what you are willing to do to get into a medical school in Canada. Mentioning that you want to obtain NB status to people who are actually from NB is going to cause them some frustration, understandably. The maritimes are underserved, the whole point of Dal and MUN is to not only train, but retain, doctors in the maritime provinces. If you have never had a connection to the maritimes and have suddenly claimed residency, I think that will raise a few eyebrows on the admissions committee.

If you would rather try to move provinces and play the system than put in the work to obtain a seat in your home province, I'm not sure that reflects well on your abilities. That being said, it is hard to get in so I don't blame you for pursuing any available avenue. If you are really considering moving to obtain residency status, take a look at Alberta. You only have to live there for one year by the time of application to obtain in-province status. The average gpa and mcat for in-province students at UofC and UofA are below those for NBers at Dal, not to mention more seats available. Unless there is a specific reason you want to attend Dal, you would have a better chance at UofC.

If you are really considering moving to obtain residency status, take a look at Alberta. You only have to live there for one year by the time of application to obtain in-province status. The average gpa and mcat for in-province students at UofC and UofA are below those for NBers at Dal, not to mention more seats available. Unless there is a specific reason you want to attend Dal, you would have a better chance at UofC.

+1

Although, in my biased opinion, I'd rather Atlantic Canada to Alberta...

While I agree that the NB in province pool is less competitive than the NS pool, I think you would have to live in NB for a whole year prior to applying in order to get in province status. If not, you would have resided in NB for a couple of months, at best, by the time your application gets submitted in august. If you have no ties to NB, this may not be sufficient to claim in province status.

The whole point of the provincial seats is to maximize the chances of holding on to the doctors they train. Each province invests significant resources to train doctors and rightfully wish to retain them following medical school and there is a higher chance of a true NB resident staying and practicing in NB.

Archived