Premed 101 Forums

Quick GPA question

Hello all,

I have a quick question that I couldn't find the answer to in the forums. I know all about the GPA conversions using OMSAS and such but I was wondering how it applies when you are in a decimal number?

My GPA was at a 3.7 according to that scale, but I ended up having to take a few GPA killer courses this term and calculating my GPA after the worst case scenarios has me a little scared.

So My school goes on a 12 point scale....12= A+ 11= A 10= A- 9= B+ etcccc

The past 3 years I have consistently been in the 10(A-) range.... goes up and down a little (10.01 to 10.6 etc) but still always an A-.

This terms' courses, at worst case scenario could bring my CGPA down to a 9.76 (9 falls into B+ category) I have hopes that it will be a bit higher but the highest will be in 9.8-9.9 category. BARELY missing the 10 = A-

And this 0.1 to 0.2 drop will make me go from an A- to a B+ Gpa, and according to OMSAS it will make me drop from a 3.7 to a 3.3!!!

So, my question.....do schools round up? Or do I get a 'middle' OMSAS score? (I've seen a bunch of people say they have a 3.6 GPA though that doesn't exist on OMSAS chart) So can anyone clarify for me?! :S Where will my GPA be at?!

*my apologies for the long confusing post. this is all really confusing and saddening. :(

Also, so you can see how it works using grades that are not just A+ (so you understand the rounding), here is another example:

My school uses the letter grade and 9.0 scale, so this is how you would go about doing the OMSAS conversion in a year with 10 classes of all equal weight:

A /8 /3.9

A+ /9 /4.0

A /8 /3.9

A /8 /3.9

A- /7 /3.7

A- /7 /3.7

A+ /9 /4.0

A- /7 /3.7

A- /7 /3.7

A+ /9 /4.0

Average: 3.85

Also, so you can see how it works using grades that are not just A+ (so you understand the rounding), here is another example:

My school uses the letter grade and 9.0 scale, so this is how you would go about doing the OMSAS conversion in a year with 10 classes of all equal weight:

A /8 /3.9

A+ /9 /4.0

A /8 /3.9

A /8 /3.9

A- /7 /3.7

A- /7 /3.7

A+ /9 /4.0

A- /7 /3.7

A- /7 /3.7

A+ /9 /4.0

Average: 3.88

That's a 3.85 GPA average.

Thanks for the replies I didnt know you had to convert each grade just the final one! Oh and I think two classes are calculated as (___ x2) not (___ x 6) right?

But in any case...this made matters worse...I realized my GPA is much lower than I thought :(

Thanks for the replies I didnt know you had to convert each grade just the final one! Oh and I think two classes are calculated as (___ x2) not (___ x 6) right?

But in any case...this made matters worse...I realized my GPA is much lower than I thought :(

That's too bad, I know how you feel. In retrospect I would have liked to know exactly how the system worked right at the beginning of undergrad instead of getting a nasty surprise after OMSAS sent me the letter with my calculated GPA.

Archived