Premed 101 Forums

1st undergrad advice.

Hi all,

Have been lurking these forums for a bit lately, and decided to try and get some advice from you guys about the correct path I need to take.

Obviously my end goal is to get accepted into Med School somewhere in Canada, hopefuly UBC and then UBCO.

I have the necessary high school grades to enter into university, and currently I'm looking at doing a BSn here at UBCO. I come from a large medical family, all of whom still live in my home country of New Zealand.

The reasoning behind doing a BSn is primarily because I feel it would give me a good basis of understanding in the medical field, and prepare me for the rest of my life should I get accepted. I'm told that I can apply to UBC and others in my 3rd year of study if my GPA is good enough.

I'm a permanent resident before you ask, and will be getting citizenship in September. Failing getting accepted into a Canadian school I can apply with a BS to the 2 medical schools in New Zealand, and will be look upon favorably because of an international degree, but that's not what I want, as my life, spouse and family (well, her side of the family hehe) are here in Canada.

Anyhow, any advice would be great, and if you think I should be taking something else such as a bs in biology then please say so!

Obviously I'll be doing extra papers outside of the BSn to get the prerequisites for med.

Thanks!

What's a BSn? I'm not familiar with that...

If it is a bachelor of science in nursing (that's my guess), I'd say don't do it unless you want to be a nurse as your backup should you not get into medicine. I've heard there are a lot of subjective courses where it is hard to get As/+As. It may be an attractive thought to take nursing to get a better overall understanding of the medical field before medicine, but you'll get plenty of exposure once you're in medical school. If that is your only reason for doing a nursing degree then I personally don't think it's the best idea.

Check out kin if that is something that might interest you.

Am looking into this now. Thanks. Is it an easier program than nursing haha?

Spoke with my father (who's a RN and now director of nursing, was a prof at local uni teaching mental health for 30 years), he said he couldn't agree more on the fact that nursing is hard to get A's in!

Archived