Premed 101 Forums

deadend - need advice

Guest khoberian

Guest khoberian

Hi guys,

I'm a comp eng student. will be starting 4th year in the summer. Now, my problem is that I've effectively messed up every single year of my degree thus far by having one good term followed by a bad one which basically ruined the whole year for me.

So, now I realize that I have to do some academic upgradng to get back in contention for admissions. I'm exploring two options and any info/advice with respect to these options will be greatly appreciated:

1) One option is to do an extra year and then apply to Western (which also has been my first choice school). However, the problem is that I will need to take 3rd or 4th year courses. Now, I don't have prereqs to be able to take most senior courses outside of my major. And within my major I really don't want to take any more courses.

So, if anybody here has done that extra year for Western and can add some insight with respect to course selection that would be great? "Course level must be higher than 300 level" is pretty restrictive in terms of the number of courses I can take outside of my own major? Thanks.

2) Do a second degree. One option I was thinking about was to do the three-year distance general degree in Science from Waterloo. And I was hoping that with credit from engineering and some Chem/Bio/Physics/arts courses that I've taken, I'd be able to convert three years into two years.

So, to anybody who's done a second degree from Waterloo, can I expect some transfer credits or will I be forced to take the whole three years by Waterloo? And also, what kind of an experience have you had in terms of university support (profs, administration, TAs), marks, etc. Would you recommend doing a distance ed degree from Waterloo? Of course anybody who's done a second degree is more than welcome to add his/her thoughts.

Sorry for the poorly organized thoughts, typos, grammar mistakes etc, guys. :) I'm typing this in my lunch hour at work and have to rush before I get back to breaking rocks. :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118447220</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>deadend - need advice</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived