Premed 101 Forums

Do you feel that undergrad university choice is significant?

Guest seonagh

Guest seonagh

On a Canadian website www.geocities.com/tonyc44...ips.htmfor premeds that is somewhat outdated, I found the following remark/advice?

The school you attend is also important. A college with a tough academic reputation is more likely to impress an admissions committee.

I'm interested in the view of both applicants and med students on the validity of this statement for today's applicants. I know that "officially" this is not put forth as a criteria (although some like U of T make mention of program rigor for example they don't tie it to the reputation of the university). I attend a university that I have heard many Canadians discuss as not being a "real" university and I have also heard many derogatory comments about the academic quality of the programs. I certainly feel that this isn't an accurate depiction of things but my opinion aside I'm wondering on what others think is the reality of this type of bias exsisting in the minds of adcom members.

I'm interested in applying to Dal and I have been told by a number of people that Dal's med school really looks down on grads from my school (or in general from non Dal grads) and while the numbers do tend to look that way it could simply be a factor of there not being many applicants coming from my school. If there is bias out there is it generally wide spread or are some schools worse than others for this.

Seonagh

Guest marbledust

My personal opinion is that it doesn't matter where you do your undergrad, the most important thing is that you are able to fulfull the academic requirements for admission to the medical schools you are interested in:

-GPA

-pre-req courses

-how many years do they count: two, your whole record,

can you apply while a second or third year student

It's a personal choice. A bigger university like U of T can offer termendous resourses and a wider range of courses. But a smaller institution can offer much smaller classes and more contact with instructors. You should do your undergrad at a school that is a good fit for you and where you think you will be successful. I can't imagine the choice of undergrad school would matter to the admissions commitees of any Canadian medical school. I did my undergrad at a university that one of my interviewers had never even heard of!! Rather than look down on me, my interviewers thought it was very interesting.

As an aside, I also don't think Macleans annual university rankings are very credible...

Guest cutieyellow

I live in Montreal. First thought of university that pops into your mind when you think Montreal is McGill University, the big hoopla there in the middle of the city on Sherbrooke street, the big research/medical institution, reputated for its successful alumnis.

However, i decided to go to Concordia University instead (which Maclean's always rates really really bad) for individual research in teacher's labs during undergrad, smaller classes (some we were 20) and just an overall more personal experience. I didn't want to be just a number at McGill, trying to stand out in a class of 1000 is hard. Also, i figured i'd learn better in a class where i am encouraged to be inquisitive, ask questions, participate. And the research experience i got was just a bonus.

Therefore, after completing my degree at the MUCH LESS loftier university, considered often by McGillers as 'place people that don't get into McGill go' (which i did btw, get into McGill in the same program that i attended at Concordia) - i got into medical school. Therefore it really doesn't matter where you do your undergrad, as long as you are happy. If you're comfortable in that environment, it will be then that you will be able to achieve and learn and grow :)

CY

In the US, it probably matters. In Canada, no. There are very few private institutions of higher learning in Canada that I know of and all public institutions are of good quality. Whatever rumors you hear are probably perpetrated by people who went to a rival institution. For instance, in BC there is a big rivalry between UBC and SFU and we give each other @#%$, e.g., SFU is better for Comp sci, but UBC better for bio, etc. One of my cousins went to UBC for comp sci and is at the number 1 comp sci institution in the US now so going to UBC clearly did not hinder her future goals. In reality I think both institutions will get you where you want to go.

In the US however, you get your excellent privates (Yale, Harvard, etc.) and then you have your excellent publics (Washington, Michigan, UCLA) then really horrible privates (Bob Jones University, Wheaton College). A lot of the stuff you hear can also be perpetrated by American college students where it actually matters where you went to undergrad.

In short, pick a school that you will be comfortable at. If you don't like the big competitive atmosphere of UT then go to a smaller school. If you thrive in that environment or want to be in a large city, then UT is probably more your mold.

Archived