Premed 101 Forums

Dropping out of Masters?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or could offer some advice.

I am four months into my Masters and I'm not really crazy about it. Throughout undergrad I had always dreamed of getting my PhD and entering academic science. More recently, I've come to realize that I'm not suited for a career in research nor do I think I would enjoy one, and want to explore medicine as a potential career (I'm aware it is very difficult to do, so I would explore other options as well). I was wondering how dropping out of a masters would like on any forthcoming applications? I really don't want to drop and hope this is just a phase I will get out of, since I feel like I have committed a lot to it and don't enjoy "quitting", but I think that it will be very difficult to pursue a Masters when I am not completely passionate about my project or research in general. If I were to drop out of the program, I would take a year or two working and volunteering, and exploring career possibilities, before applying. Anyone been in a similar situation??

Your situation hits quite close to home for me. I will start out by saying that about 4-6 months into my Master's I realized that it was not what I wanted and continuing on to a Ph.D. would likely not make me happy or fulfilled in the long run. I decided to stick it out though, for a multitude of reasons, and am defending my thesis next week (hooray for an end in sight!). Do I wish I had done something different (i.e., other than beginning this Master's)? Yes. I should probably have taken a year to explore all of my career options and really determine what's involved in different programs/careers and pick one better suited to my interests. Do I regret sticking it out and finishing the master's degree? Not in the least. I cannot tell you how much I have learned over the course of the past 1.5 years, it has involved a lot of personal and professional growth that will definitely make me more competitive in application cycles for various other programs (and will of course help me find employment in between if necessary :)).

One of the reasons I stuck it out was because I wanted to see if my negative reaction was actually to the program/career or if it was to the (huge!) change from undergrad. Grad school is a different world, and I think I was feeling the imposter effect pretty hard in my first few months.

Ultimately I decided that research is not for me, and I do not wish to enter the PhD program this fall, though I can say that my MA will open a lot of doors for me, and I'm pretty thankful for that.

I will say that suffering through a program just to finish is definitely no fun. If you decide to stick it out, I would recommend making the most of it! If it's nearly unbearable now, I can totally understand why choosing a different course of action could be justified. It's all a learning process, right?

Anyway, I'm not sure my ramblings are helpful, but as someone who managed to approach the end of an MA and learned a lot along the way (even though I didn't love it), finishing the degree likely won't hurt. If you feel you could better use the time to beef up applications for other programs, then that's great too! Follow your gut. Seriously.

Out of curiosity, how long is your master's program?

I am also defending my thesis next week! So pumped to be done with it. I really enjoyed mine, but there were a lot of rough patches along the way. Looking back at it I am glad I stuck it out.

I don't think it will help you for med if you quit. Maybe try a different topic. My thesis changed multiple times.

I would advise speaking to counsellors at your school (guidance or in your department) before taking that step... don't be afraid to if that is what you ultimately decide to do, students do drop out from their masters for various reasons and you won't be the first, just try to get as much info from them about how it will affect your transcripts/ability to reapply to any programs at that university/department in the future... and consider if its worth "burning bridges" with your supervisor/the department if you dropped out

I would say try to stick it out, depending on your funding situation, research etc. I too am doing a masters (MA in a completely unrelated field to medicine), and feel i did it for the wrong reasons when i know deep down it was always medicine. For one, My masters is fully funded, and it essentially acts like a job in that i get regular pay biweekly. Two, although its unrelated to medicine, I was allowed to take health related electives which have really interested me, and even resulted in some great contacts (I'm even taking a pharmaceutical policy class this summer, which I'm super excited about). So ultimately if you work hard and do well, i can't see it hurting anything but time. In saying this, I am returning to do a 2 yr undergrad in the fall to boost GPA, after having this MA completed (with about a 3.8+). So it will be hard going back, but I'm happy i stuck with it, even if its not really what i wanted.

MY only concern is if it will raise flags to the adcoms?

(because its super unmed related). Not sure, but I hope it wouldn't translate to that.

Finally, I enjoyed my class, which helped me stick with it. Most of my friends by now know where my passion really lies, and thats ok too.

I wish I had taken a year off undergrad as well, but for some reason I felt the momentum to keep going. Did you find you had the time to explore other options while in grad school? I'm worried that my life will be too consumed with grad school to focus on much else.

My program will be 2-3 years, depending on my productivity and how my project works out, I guess.

Good luck on your defense and thanks again!

Thanks!

And yes and no. It was not so hard to look into other programs while in grad school (sometimes it's what got me through a particularly rough week), though it was extremely hard to prepare/apply for other programs while in grad school. I managed to get one med school application out the door (to my home province), though I definitely did not have time to do any prep work for other programs. If I don't get into med school during this cycle I'm going to take next year to do some undergrad prereqs for other programs (e.g., physiotherapy and genetic counseling) that I was not able to do during my MA.

You could talk to your supervisor and let him/her know that you are thinking of stopping after the master's. Be open and honest and state that you are really hoping to finish in a given time (e.g., two years max) and chat about ways to make that happen (if you decide to stick with it).

I was in a similar situation. I realized quite early on that research was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I stuck it out and was pleased with the results, i.e. professional and personal development. It really was a great learning experience. And it is what you make of it. I agree about being open with your supervisor in that you should tell them that you do not intend to continue with a PhD. This will affect their expectations of you and keep you both aligned to your future goals. If you are unhappy with your particular project, it is early enough in your program to address these concerns with your supervisor and explore other projects.

4 months is SHORT!!!

if you have the chance..n if i did..meaning no interest in med....

Id drop out n enter another field

Research is an under paid living hell

its all driVen by gov propaganda and undergrad programsThat are there for $

Not the students interest

If ur doing med u gotto walk through hell Prob end up loathing science n wanna drop out of the field ahahah

Do you think you can come out of this Masters with a good GPA and with a publication or 2? If yes, then realize that your Masters could eventually give you a nice boost on your MD application further down the line...

Do you think your current thesis supervisor could eventually give you a strong letter or ref. for Med school? Do you like your thesis supervisor? Are the other students working in the lab helpful? Do they seem to appreciate you?

What is it about the topic that you're investigating that you don't like? Is it just plain boring or do you find it too difficult?

All these questions and more need to be answered. And only you can answer them.

Research is extremely ****ty work, unless you are doing it to get into medical school. Why? It pays like ****, the work is boring as ****, your promotions are mostly based on luck and d!ck sucking, and the people you work with are incompetent because most of them didn't have what it takes to make it to med.

Actually, in my research program (unitized MA/PhD so it's expected that we go on to PhD after the master's) an MD degree/med students are kind of looked down upon (I did not know this going in), and most of the people I know in academia never wanted or tried to get into medicine. Some areas of research feel highly accomplished/prestigious about the work they do, and feel that medicine ignores a lot of important research findings and involves a lot of over-prescription, for example. It differs depending on your program. I am not saying that I feel this way, since I am very very interested in going into medicine, I am just saying that I have met many extremely competent academics. And I honestly think my research training has been invaluable (though yes, it is a lot of work, can be boring, and involves a lot of politics).

I agree that it is mostly MCAT and GPA. Hence the reason why most would steer you toward a second degree to jack up an ailing first degree rather than pursuing a masters.

He makes a good point. Admissions are based almost entirely on GPA and MCAT, don't let the useless nontrads who failed these two aspects fool you.

You know its not necessary to prove to everyone that you are a douche bag every post you make. Your abrasiveness is quite obvious after only 15 posts, hopefully in person where you cant be annonymous you are not so much of an @rse as your ideas are good just the way you say them is not.

Admissions are based almost entirely on GPA and MCAT, don't let the useless nontrads who failed these two aspects fool you.

First, please don't refer to non-traditional students as useless. It is a sweeping generalization, and you would be surprised at how medical schools are filling up with more non-trad students.

Second, please don't assume that everyone in graduate school is there because they failed to get into medicine and because they are incompetent. Another sweeping and inaccurate generalization.

To the OP:

Be honest with your supervisor. If you want to quit grad school, sooner is better. If you are wavering (that is what it sounds like to me), then set up a meeting with your supervisor ASAP. Choose a time when you won't be interrupted and he/she isn't distracted and doesn't feel rushed to attend to something else. Your supervisor might be able to help you design your project to better reflect your interests--you don't know if you don't ask.

If your supervisor doesn't react well to this discussion, or for some reason you cannot fathom having this discussion with them...then it may not be the environment you want to work in for the next 2+ years anyway. It might be best to cut your ties and pursue something else that better suits your interests.

Remember: People are allowed to change their minds. You didn't sign a contract with the devil here, but the longer you languish unhappily, the less productive you likely will be and this will not help you with positive rapport with the supervisor and will contribute to a more negative overall experience. Think long and hard about what you want and what makes you happy and how you can achieve it. Good luck with your 'soul-searching'. :)

LL

Technically, this is how it usually is. They look at their 3.2, say "****, I'll never get in with this," then don't bother filling out OMSAS.

Make no mistake, grad school is plan B, most of the time.

No no, I said grad school was definitely option A for a lot of people. And for most, there was no option B (no interest in medicine. Not everyone thinks it is as great as you seem to). Most that I know had near 4.0 GPAs, not 3.2. I am willing to bet that you are not in graduate school, nor do you associate with grad students much. You are mistaken and sound a little bitter here.

To the original poster in this thread, please do not believe for a second that you should stay out of research unless the PERSON writing your reference has an MD. This is nonsense.

Once again, I never said that ALL nontrads are worthless. I said that, as a group, they are. Quit nickpicking, that qualification was implied.

Anyway, if they were so good, they'd be in med already.

no, you didn't say all were useless...you just said we were useless, period. Oh, wait...you said those who failed in GPA and MCAT were useless.

I haven't yet figured out how being 'so good' and 'being in med' are related. They can be mutually exclusive. NEWSFLASH: not everyone in graduate school wants to be a doctor. Imagine that.

Have a great evening :)

LL

I agree to those bashing grad

I think everyone should do their part and help others steer clear from the field

We will get change when there is a lack of students on these programs

These gov monoplies need to be overcome by the students

Do your part!! Tell others to svoid grad school

..i do every day

To the poster on my spelling

I USE AN IPHONE! hard to type

Just to add: Today I was offered not one, but two potential summer research positions, both resulting in potential co-authorship publications. One is with an MD, the other, a health policy prof from my faculty on hospital funding models.

I can assure you both of these opportunities would not have been presented without being involved in my current MA, regardless of its non med emphasis.

So there you have it, grad school really isn't a waste of time. Not only will I be done this MA in 1 year (started last summer), I may end up with two pubs to my name before returning for my second UG.

Edit: OP: what is your masters in? Are there opportunities to tie health/ medicine into your research or coursework?

Ok, that's a crock of **** on so many levels.

Doesn't matter, grad school sucks. If you don't believe me, find out for yourself. You'll be coming back in 5 years to tell me how right I am. Damn, I love always being right.

P.S. I'm not bitter, I'm in a whole other league than you boy.

Atomsmasher I would be cautious to make such immature and ignorant comments on the "NonTrad" part of the forum, given many people ARE in fact grad students, and ARE in fact non traditional students applying to medicine. If you have nothing constructive to contribute, don't.

@OP: You should definitely be honest with your supervisor; make sure he/she knows your intention of not wanting to pursue a PhD and if possible, let him/her know that you intend to apply to medical school. It's unfortunate, but I believe graduate students applying to medical schools require a letter of recommendation from their supervisors. However, if you truly believe that you won't be able to succeed in the masters program, then you can simply leave. I have a colleague who left after 8 months. Fortunately, his supervisor was understanding and even offered to write him a letter of recommendation for his future endeavors.

@AtomSmasherXII: In general, if you see people disagreeing with you, and if you see no one supporting your claim, then you are probably wrong regardless of how much you tell yourself you're right. Shocking concept, isn't it?

When Galileo said that the stars do not revolve around the earth, most people disagreed with him...

You're making an argumentum ad populum, which indicates that your argument is weak.

I'm maintaining my position that graduate students, graduate school, and nontrads all suck.

<yawn> ....

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation, or could offer some advice.

I am four months into my Masters and I'm not really crazy about it. Throughout undergrad I had always dreamed of getting my PhD and entering academic science. More recently, I've come to realize that I'm not suited for a career in research nor do I think I would enjoy one, and want to explore medicine as a potential career (I'm aware it is very difficult to do, so I would explore other options as well). I was wondering how dropping out of a masters would like on any forthcoming applications? I really don't want to drop and hope this is just a phase I will get out of, since I feel like I have committed a lot to it and don't enjoy "quitting", but I think that it will be very difficult to pursue a Masters when I am not completely passionate about my project or research in general. If I were to drop out of the program, I would take a year or two working and volunteering, and exploring career possibilities, before applying. Anyone been in a similar situation??

Have you had any successful experiments yet or has it been a mishmash of half-assed and/or failed experiments interspersed with 'reading'?

To really start enjoying research, you need to have a handful of good, fun and productive experiments to motivate and excite you about research. You can't just be thrown into it and expect to do well. You need to have a talk with your supervisor and come up with a bunch of experiments that are reasonable and would have a good success rate that can get you started. This may take a lot of handholding but that's ok. You may even opt to repeat some previous experiments with a few twists.

Archived