Premed 101 Forums

# of interviews

Guest Abcrod

Guest Abcrod

I'm wondering how many programs do people usually apply to for any given mildly competitive specialty. And then, how many number of interviews are realistic? Are there times when you do not get a single interview? Are there people who like go for 5, 10 or 10+ interviews (if they apply to more than one speciatly)?

I'm looking at the Carms #s, and for some specialties, there are like 100 applicants, and only 30 are interviewed. Those numbers look very bleak.

Thanks!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

It's very hard to say how any given applicant to a competitive program will fare re: interview invitations as two prime variables involved are the quality of the applicant (how their various attributes look on paper) and the specialty to which the person applies (since there are different numbers of programs and spots for each). Based on these variables, there is probably a range of interview numbers that folks receive.

In regards to number of programs applied to, I know three people who recently applied to very competitive specialties and all three people applied to all English speaking programs within that specialty across the country. Out of ~15 programs one person received less than 5 interview invitations--closer to 2, I believe--but again, this is not an indication of anyone else's chances in particular given the variables involved.

Lastly, another factor to consider is that the popularity of some specialties waxes and wanes each year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Abcrod

thanks Kirsteen!

So it sounds like it won't be totally unreasonable for someone to apply to one speciality across the land then...

THe reason why I ask is that say for med school, if I'm an OOP student with only say an 84% average, the odds are, if I apply, i"ll just be throwing away money. I might get lucky, but still, the odds are against me compared to those 90%+ stellar students.

The carms equivialent would be, if I didn't do an elective in the program, I don't want to be just wasting my time and apply compared to those who did do an elective.

I just don't want to be those people who apply to like every program for 2 or 3 specialities. That's like 30-40 applications. ( btw are there people who do that?)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, there are people who submit quite a few applications, but I think either CaRMS or another body released a statistic re: the average number of applications per applicant was less than 20.

With respect to applying to only one specialty, especially if it's a competitive specialty, you should garner some insights from resources in addition to the advice posted here. There are many sizeable pros and cons (some bigger than others depending on your own view/values) to a mono- versus a poly-CaRMS application. You need to think about what you would do in the event that you went umatched, and this happens to a percentage of students every year. (Two folks I know in the past few years applied to very competitive specialities solely and went unmatched in the first round.) In short, I'd spend some time collecting a good number of insights so you can make a sound and informed decision.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Abcrod

thanks for the words of wisdom. :)

As for reference letters, do they have to come from an attending during a rotation you did? How about if I just did a clinical project with a doc, but didn't have a formal rotation with him, Can I ask a letter from him?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

You certainly are free to ask your research preceptor for a letter, but it might not be the strongest letter you could garner for the CaRMS process in so much as that preceptor might have difficulty commenting on the attributes that are of interest to residency selection committees, e.g., clinical skills, etc.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest kosmo14

The big question is How well is that person you are asking for a reference from known in the field you want to go into? If they are one of the leaders in thier field with an excellent reputation countrywide, then it really doesn't matter whether they can comment on your clinical abilities. If they say you are good and they are a leader in thier field whether they are a researcher or a clinician then their letter will hold significantly more wieght than an unknown who can comment on your clinical abilities. Maybe not fair, but that is how the game works.

Guest Ian Wong

If you are going after a competitive specialty and have no geographic limitations, I think you should absolutely apply to all the listed programs. CaRMS is a rather random process, and you always want to be in the position of having excess interviews (which rarely happens unless you're an absolute stud of an applicant) rather than begging over the phone in case a cancellation comes up.

As well, in most competitive specialties, you'll often be happy just to match. Definitely apply everywhere if you can. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the trauma of not matching.

Ian

Archived