Premed 101 Forums

Med school preference

I am wondering what medical school preference people have if they had multiple interviews. If you get multiple acceptances where would you preferentially choose to go?

Its a no brainer that people like me, who only have one lottery ticket (NOSM) are highly interested in what these people will ultimately choose. I met a number of people at the interview who were doing interviews at 3-5 med schools, which is really a feat and are obviously super star premeds!

... we can assume that NOSM admissions people will not read this thread and disqualify you if you state a preference elsewhere ... although I am sure some of the overly paranoid people will just choose not to peep up ...

Any takers?

Congratulations on two interviews! I dont know much about the med school in Manitoba, is it a curriculum difference that you prefer about NOSM?

Definitely. Manitoba is very focused on didactic learning. Based on my undergrad experiences, I think I'm much better as an independent learner. Additionally, I really like the early emphasis on clinical experience. Manitoba has elements of clinical experience in pre-clerkship years, but the real, in depth hands on doesn't occur until clerkship in year 3 and 4 (at least in comparisson to NOSM).

Additionally, although it might sound hokey, I really like Northern Ontario. To be able to continue my education in a city I love would be awesome.

Definitely. Manitoba is very focused on didactic learning. Based on my undergrad experiences, I think I'm much better as an independent learner. Additionally, I really like the early emphasis on clinical experience. Manitoba has elements of clinical experience in pre-clerkship years, but the real, in depth hands on doesn't occur until clerkship in year 3 and 4 (at least in comparisson to NOSM).

Additionally, although it might sound hokey, I really like Northern Ontario. To be able to continue my education in a city I love would be awesome.

Early clinical is definitely a plus of nosm... we have weekly clinical skills sessions, and community integrated learning placements (which can vary from the extremely non-clinical ie. one day with the police, to the very clinical ie. a few days with an internist, a gp, a gen surg, one classmate had a placement in neurosurgery and got to witness a pituitary tumour removal... in first year!).

the one month placement in first year is decidedly non-clinical, but some second years have had impressive second year placements, one being first assist on a surgery, others doing physicals and interviews in a GP's practice...

All in all I'm pretty happy with my choice, I was accepted to Mac, Western and Nosm, there are still some kinks with such a young school, but the good news is that they are aware of that and are constantly improving.

Archived