Premed 101 Forums

Residency Competitiveness Based on Medical School

Guest MedBound786

Guest MedBound786

Hey guys;

It seems that most of the posters here are medical students and thus quite experienced in the process. I would love to hear your comments on the following. I was wondering, do Canadian Residency programs give a higher preference to Canadian medical graduates over U.S medical graduates (both participate in first iteration of CaRMS) ?

Also, in general, if you go to med school in the U.S, do the residency programs in Canada care which particular school you went to in terms of rank and prestige?

Thanks for all the input

Guest Talon01

From what I hear, attending a 'prestige' school in the USA gives you a big headup on those who aren't in such schools when applying for residency within the US. However, I don't think it's AS big of a deal here in Canada. You have to remember, people are usually being selected on whether they feel they'd fit in well at the hospital (and it would be hard to judge that without doing an elective at that school) and whether they will stay on staff after residency. But I would think having a Hardvard behind you must pull some weight (whether that's ethical or not...)

Archived