Premed 101 Forums

CaRMS + NRMP?

Guest ttryit

Guest ttryit

Hi All,

Can you be involved in both the Canadian and American residency matches in order to increase your chances of matching to your first choice specialty?

tt/

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yes, you can apply to both matches, however, if you match to one then you are legally bound to fill that position and are withdrawn from the other match. That is, you are not permitted to view the results of both matches post-match and then select the Canadian or US position that you prefer.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest mstr splinter

CaRMS is always before the US match. (The one exception was the SARS year.) You can apply and interview in both countries, but if you decide to run in the US match, you have to pull out of the CaRMS process a few weeks before the Canadian match day.

It is not true that CARMS is always before the US match. It fluctuates depending on the year. Last year, NRMP was early and Carms was later. This year (2006), CARMS was in February, and NRMP was just a few weeks ago in March. I would highly advise you to check both programs to make sure you are aware of this.

Also, be aware that a lot of programs in the US do their interviewing in October/November/December. CARMS interviews most often take place within two weeks in January. So, if you're planning to apply to both, I'd schedule your electives with this caveat in mind.

Good luck,

EJL

Guest mstr splinter

Last year's CaRMS match day was March 1, and the US match day was March 17. Some US programs have an early match--neurosurgery is one that comes to mind.

Guest ttryit

Hi,

Mostly I was interested in whether you can have your cake and eat it too by entering both matches, but it seems like you can't.

tt

Archived