Premed 101 Forums

100% sure?

So this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous... but I'm genuinely curious.

Is there anyone out there who isn't actually 100% sure that being a medical student next year is what they want? Am I a bad person for having a sliver of creeping doubt as the May 15 date approaches?

#identitycrisis.

I think considering the considerate investment you plan to make, both time-wise and financially, it's not an easy decision. And if you make the decision without looking at it rationally, you'll probably be in for a not-so-pleasant surprise at some point when you realize what you signed up for.

Don't feel strange for having doubts, I do as well, and it's important to face those doubts head on.

I almost went into law, and I didnt know for sure what I wanted to do until after I got accepted. There were almost no other ppl like this in my class (I graduated mac a few yrs ago)--but in the end, I def made the right choice.

Some ppl around here are obcessed with the idea of meds so much they refuse to consider other options and will think you are crazy to think that meds is not 100% the best thing ever. I think it makes you thoughtful to atleast consider everything before pulling the trigger!

I think when you have doubts like that it's important to explore them and if you feel like your experiences still bring you back to medicine then it's the place for you (I'm in my second year off after graduating, I traveled a bunch in my first year and have done a lot of research and outreach in the community this year and in the end it lead me right back to medicine with more diverse perspectives)

Sometimes I wonder with certain people whether they are in it because they are genuinely interested in a career in medicine or they are simply in it for the recognition. I think some applicants have been groomed to be competitive with academics, and that when they get selected from a peer group based mainly on academic achievements this carries with it reward and recognition that makes them feel good about themselves. So I always wonder if some people are in it to really become doctors, or they have simply lowered their heads and are powering through the admissions process based on this rewards-conditioning process, because this is the way our education system grooms people, to treat education as a competition amongst your peers. I just think that some people may spend too much time measuring themselves up to others and not enough time self-reflecting on who they are as a person and if medicine is the right choice for them

Not saying that this is you, that was just an aside I wanted to get off my chest lol. I'm guessing that if you spent time researching medicine (shadowing, volunteer activities), studying for the MCAT, and going through this long admissions process, odds are it is something you are serious about because you would likely have quit by now if not. No one is ever 100% certain of a certain career path, or any choice in life for that matter. But based on the balance of probabilities, I'm sure that you will enjoy medicine. Also, medicine is such a diverse field that you can really find a specialty or practice set-up that fits your lifestyle and professional goals and preferences.

It might just be a classic case of cold feet. Leave that for the podiatrists! (cymbal crash)

Sometimes I wonder with certain people whether they are in it because they are genuinely interested in a career in medicine or they are simply in it for the recognition. I think some applicants have been groomed to be competitive with academics, and that when they get selected from a peer group based mainly on academic achievements this carries with it reward and recognition that makes them feel good about themselves. So I always wonder if some people are in it to really become doctors, or they have simply lowered their heads and are powering through the admissions process based on this rewards-conditioning process, because this is the way our education system grooms people, to treat education as a competition amongst your peers. I just think that some people may spend too much time measuring themselves up to others and not enough time self-reflecting on who they are as a person and if medicine is the right choice for them

This. lloyder34, that was insightful. There are plenty of times I've talked to people who seemed less than sure about their decision to go into medicine, but they are going through with the application process anyways because everything up until this point has pointed them in that direction. "I've done X, Y, and Z activity. Research, doctor shadowing, hospital volunteering, killing myself to get a respectable GPA, etc etc. I can't just not go into medicine now, after all of that work..." (meanwhile not reflecting if it's what they REALLY want, what will really make them happy).

Not to mention that there is much more "hype" about medicine than any other discipline. So I understand why so many people want to become Doctors. And that is why it has become so competitive in Canada.

To OP: Sometimes you don't think you like something until you actually do it. There is chance that you'll actually LOVE it. :D

Sometimes I wonder with certain people whether they are in it because they are genuinely interested in a career in medicine or they are simply in it for the recognition. I think some applicants have been groomed to be competitive with academics, and that when they get selected from a peer group based mainly on academic achievements this carries with it reward and recognition that makes them feel good about themselves. So I always wonder if some people are in it to really become doctors, or they have simply lowered their heads and are powering through the admissions process based on this rewards-conditioning process, because this is the way our education system grooms people, to treat education as a competition amongst your peers. I just think that some people may spend too much time measuring themselves up to others and not enough time self-reflecting on who they are as a person and if medicine is the right choice for them...

I also find this to be very true. It's OK to have doubts (everybody does, except those who are dishonest with themselves), but you need to do quite a bit of soul-searching to see where these doubts are coming from. Are you scared of not being up to the challenge that Med school represents or are you worried that medicine might not truly be what your heart desires? Is there another profession that you think might make you happier in the long-run than medicine?

Realize that Med school is tough and very costly. There's also the 2+ years of residency to do afterwards. I've personally heard of the case of a doctor who actually hated his job. He was happy to be accepted into Med school initially, but after a while, he felt profoundly dissatisfied with the medical field in general. He was stuck in Med school, however, because of the high tuition fees. So he finished his MD and worked for several years to pay off his debts. Now, he's training for a new job.

Here's a small list of things to think about & help you decide whether Medicine is really for you:

- INFLUENCES: Have you thought of medicine all by yourself or are there people (eg. your parents) influencing you to choose medicine?

- STRESS: Do you generally handle stress and challenges well? Are you OK with doing another 3+ years of university? Do you work well under pressure?

- SKILLS & HELPING OTHERS: How are your social/observational/teamwork/problem-solving/judgmental skills? Do you genuinely like helping others (including people who might not always be grateful for your help)? How do you respond to negative criticism?

-INTERESTS: Do you like the life sciences? Do you think the human body is awesome? Do you like reading news articles on the pharmaceutical/health sciences?

- IDEAL JOB? What are your career goals and what jobs aside from medicine fit these goals? Yes, you'll make a good salary as an MD, but are you OK with working for long hours? Will you be OK if you're called in at 3 am in the morning for an emergency? There's a huge time and emotional investment that you'll have to make in medicine.

Sometimes I wonder with certain people whether they are in it because they are genuinely interested in a career in medicine or they are simply in it for the recognition. I think some applicants have been groomed to be competitive with academics, and that when they get selected from a peer group based mainly on academic achievements this carries with it reward and recognition that makes them feel good about themselves. (cymbal crash)

I remember reading a blog of a woman who left medicine in 2nd or 3rd year medical school. She said her primary reason for pursuing medicine was because she had the grades and that's just what academically gifted people did. It was the ultimate recognition that you are gifted academically (the ultimate gold star). Ideally, interviews screen out applicants not interested in the profession. If you go into a healthcare profession just for status and money, you are going into the wrong profession (although status and money are nice added bonuses;)).

I agree. There is a huge misconception out there that doctors make a ton of money. When you factor in the time spent in the educational system and its associated costs and the hours you work, its not as glamorous as some people think. If people solely want to make money they should go into business.

My initial rant, or rather the thinking that got me there was this: I have met more than a few university students who claimed they "hated" their program right now. It was often English students. They said the essays and readings were a killer and that their grades were terrible (any of you who have taken arts courses know that getting a 4.0 aGPA is nearly unheard of). When I asked them why they decided to major in English in university the common answer was "well I did really well at it in high school and got really good grades!" So it seems it was the great grades they really enjoyed, and not so much the subject matter. I think medicine follows these same lines. There's going to be times in a medical career when you say "why the hell am I doing this?", the stress is going to catch up to you sometimes, and the amount of work you are putting in might not be churning out personal rewards or satisfaction. So when the reward factor is going to be missing at times in your career, are you going to stick it through? I think this question is of greater importance in medicine than other careers because when doctors aren't passionate about their work, it really shows, and can affect people in much more harmful ways than other jobs.

It's entirely normal and, in my opinion, a good sign that you have some doubts. We often get caught up in the whole admissions process and get obsessed with "getting in" that we don't pause to really think about these things. I want this, but am I sure I'm ready? Is there something else out there that I actually want more, or did I just go for this because it was the most obvious choice?

Every career has its pros and cons, and usually your perception of it is different from what it actually is when you go into it. Especially with something as big of a time/money investment as studying medicine, where you're essentially locking yourself into a career path, you need to think about this now. It makes sense to me that you'd think about it closer to "judgement" day. "Apply first, then think about it later," is what most people do.

If there is zero doubt about any big decision like this, you're probably missing something. Some will have thought about it very far in advance. Some don't happen to think about it until closer to the results day. Some won't think about it until after they get accepted. Others will just accept it and won't ever think about it (and usually regret it), whether because they are in denial (I and medicine are perfect for each other!) or just because it never occurred to them to question their choice.

It's a question that has crossed my mind many times - a sign that some might interpret as self-doubt and uncertainty whether I want to head in this career direction. But if you're like me and you answer "Yes" every time, I think that's a strong indication that I've kept an open mind (i.e., thought about many things that would make me happy in life), and that I'd be making the right decision if I get the chance to accept an offer on May 15th.

If in doubt (about anything), don't.

I would STRONGLY disagree with this!! I never would have entered medicine if this were true. In fact, if this were my philosophy, I would never make any important life descisions! It is normal to have some doubts, aside from what many of the ppl on this board (the gunners especially) would have you think.

I dont mean to attack you fd, but if you dont have doubts even while IN medical school, and beyond, I would have to question your ability to be critical and self-reflective.

So this is going to sound absolutely ridiculous... but I'm genuinely curious.

Is there anyone out there who isn't actually 100% sure that being a medical student next year is what they want? Am I a bad person for having a sliver of creeping doubt as the May 15 date approaches?

#identitycrisis.

Of course you are not a bad person! Even if you are 100% sure you DON'T want to be a medical student there is nothing at all wrong with you as a person just because of that. Good luck come May and beyond.

Been lurking on this board for ages, but this post compels me to answer.

Brief anecdote: 5 years ago, I was accepted into some pretty darn good med schools in the UK. Long story short, was ecstatic, all prepared to go, when last-minute doubts hit me and I ended up turning down my offers. Now, 5 years later, I'm having difficulties securing even one space into med school. I haven't stopped regretting that decision.

My point is, it is absolutely, perfectly, entirely normal to experience last minute doubts at this stage. This will be demanding career that we will have to dedicate the rest of our lives to. No matter how much we all want and yearn for it, it's still a frightening thought and a little doubt is always healthy. It means you’re properly thinking about what this career will be for you. As others have said before me, what's important is identifying the sources of your doubt and do some much needed self-reflection. If it ends up being something fundamental about medicine that you’re having doubts about (aka “I really don’t fancy that whole ‘empathy’ thing, medicine seemed like a good idea because I have good grades”) then perhaps it’s time to call it a day. Otherwise, any niggling doubts about whether you’ll cope, whether being a doctor will really match up to what’s in your head right now, whether it may be more exciting to run off and join the circus, is normal. Don’t let it overwhelm you.

And most importantly don't, don't feel like just because you have doubts, you'll be a bad doctor. This is what did me in, in the end. And trust me, it’s a mistake.

Otherwise, any niggling doubts about whether you’ll cope, whether being a doctor will really match up to what’s in your head right now, whether it may be more exciting to run off and join the circus, is normal. Don’t let it overwhelm you.

I'm glad that's not only me. haha

Thanks for sharing polka :)

I would STRONGLY disagree with this!! I never would have entered medicine if this were true. In fact, if this were my philosophy, I would never make any important life descisions! It is normal to have some doubts, aside from what many of the ppl on this board (the gunners especially) would have you think.

I dont mean to attack you fd, but if you dont have doubts even while IN medical school, and beyond, I would have to question your ability to be critical and self-reflective.

Agreed.

And to the OP, many people who go to med school are unsure, as I'm sure you can see from the replies of others.

i fully agree that its alright to be unsure and that most things in life are never 100% one way or the other. medical school is a big commitment however, so if you are unsure if this is the right path for you, or even the right time in your life, i would say maybe listen to that and spend some time away from medicine/medical ECs to gain perspective or to see what else interests you, or do more medical ECs/research to see if this truly is the field for you.

certainly admissions committees place a high value on having lots of activities but I think its also for your own personal gain- have you had the time to maybe shadow/'try on' this profession in a volunteer scope, etc.

Archived