Premed 101 Forums

psychiatry?

Guest gonzo23

Guest gonzo23

hi everyone.

i am starting to consider the prospect of specializing in psychiatry. thought i'd ask how competitive the residency is and if any other psychs have any advice of what to do to prepare (i'm in second year meds now) and what they felt were good experiences that really helped them realize that it was for them!

cheers!

• 4 months later...
Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I don't think that Psych is all that competitive in the sense, that if you want to do Psych and are serious about your preparation for it, you should match to Psych somewhere in the country.

My advice would be to do your 4th year electives in Psych and generally gain as much experience as you can. Ask your Psych profs/lecturers for research opportunities, since a lot of them exist in Psych and arrange to do some shadowing if you can to see if Psych is right for you. There are a ton of little areas of Psych that are out there, such as forensics, child psych (not sure if this is through paeds, so if anyone knows, please correct), general adult, research, etc., so there is lots of opportunity to subspecialize.

Hope this helps!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Archived