Premed 101 Forums

Interentional Radiology at Trillium

Can't speak to that place in particular, but I never did anything but watch some procedures. I don't know that it's the most useful thing to do as a clerk (or off-service resident!) as you likely won't get to do much. A straightforward diagnostic rads elective might be more useful, but even then it might not be that great.

I agree with above. One doesn't get much from radiology electives, however during my time in IR I tried to show interest by remembering where all the common catheters and inflation devices were so I could help the nurses grab them. Reading around the procedures so I could learn about some of the complications when I was pimped.

The patients and staff also let me mess around with the ultrasound probe to look at veins as they were prepping for the various lines. Eventually, I got to do an ultrasound-guided paracentesis for malignant ascites.

Mind you this is getting to do one procedure in >6 electives. Don't expect to do much during your IR elective, buts its a great field to see with tons of really cool procedures.

Archived