Premed 101 Forums

transfering residency programs b/w provinces

Guest athena2046

Guest athena2046

could anyone please let me know the odds of transfering into the same residency program between provinces. Ie. say if you match in a location you don't really want to be in could you move to another province?

any advice is much appreciated

thank-you

Guest medicator007

I don't know 100% for certain but my understanding is that the odds are not good. I do know some people who have done it, but since funding for the residency positions are on a provincial basis it might be easier to stay within a province but at a different school (where this is possible!)

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Difficult... very, very difficult. But not impossible.

Basically, you need to apply to transfer. You need to deal with the post-grad office at the school you are a resident at currently. They will decide if you 'have a case' (ie they approve or deny the request based on your circumstances). If it is approved in principle, (not guaranteed to be) then they will start looking for a way to do it. This involves there being a) funding for you in the receiving program B) space for you in the receiving program c) the program director of the receiving program wants you.

Interprovincial transfers are difficult due to funding issues... each resident's funding comes from the province of X ministry of health. So, if you want to move from Ontario to Alberta for example, you can't take your Ontario funding with you (it is from the provincial government) and you need to find some 'spare' funding in Alberta (ie an Alberta resident needs to give it up for whatever reason). Then there is the added complication of said funding being allocated to the specialty that you want... ie there might be some spare funding in Alberta but it might be allocated to Gen surg... and you might be looking for internal medicine.

Bottom line: its worth a try, but don't count on it happening quickly....or at all.

Archived