Premed 101 Forums

Ophthalmology residency...any tips?

Guest sky100

Hello.

I am a second year medical student who is interested in Ophthalmology. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on improving my chances of obtaining an Ophthalmology residency spot in Ontario. For example, what electives would help my application, does it matter where/when I do them, should I do them with a well-known person in the field, etc.?

Any help would be very much appreciated as I don't know any Ophthalmology resident or clerk who is interested in Ophthalmology to ask for helpful tips in terms of planning my clerkship that is swiftly approaching...

Thanks so much.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I used to play squash with one of the current Ophtho staff at UofT. If UofT Ophtho is of interest to you then I'd recommend becoming involved in some research within the field. Also, it doesn't hurt to contact a few current residents to ask about the program. They might also be able to provide some details re: the residency decision-makers in their program, which might give you a clearer idea of with whom to complete an elective.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived