Premed 101 Forums

3 vs. 4 years MD program for PhD

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about everyone's and anyone's thoughts about the McMaster program versus say a 4 year program (e.g. U of T) in regards to an applicant with a PhD. Ultimately, I want to be a clinician/physician scientist and I imagine I would need first author publications in reputable journals to get a scientist position affiliated with a hospital.

The way I look at it is McMaster's program gets you out faster and you can get into residency/research fellowships faster versus say U of T where you can spend summers and part-time during the school year to do research. Interestingly, there are a lot more PhDs at U of T med school than McMaster or any other medical school.

Does anyone know if McMaster, U of T or any school for that matter allows you to use your electives to do either clinical/basic research?

Thanks in advance!

It's not well-advertised, but Mac allows students to take a fourth year to do more electives, research or a combination of both.

Hi everyone, I was just wondering about everyone's and anyone's thoughts about the McMaster program versus say a 4 year program (e.g. U of T) in regards to an applicant with a PhD. Ultimately, I want to be a clinician/physician scientist and I imagine I would need first author publications in reputable journals to get a scientist position affiliated with a hospital.

The way I look at it is McMaster's program gets you out faster and you can get into residency/research fellowships faster versus say U of T where you can spend summers and part-time during the school year to do research. Interestingly, there are a lot more PhDs at U of T med school than McMaster or any other medical school.

Does anyone know if McMaster, U of T or any school for that matter allows you to use your electives to do either clinical/basic research?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks in advance!

Based on your description of what you want, uoft is absolutely the best choice. Nothing against Mac, i actually personally like Mac quite a bit.

Thanks Parkourparkour,

I did hear about this before... but I assume that if a Mac student were to take a 4th year then he/she has to pay another year's worth of tuition? I would imagine that it'd be in the best interested of a student to graduate sooner rather than later and spend a year doing a research fellowship if he/she didn't get matched right away.

You're correct. An extra year of tuition would have to be paid according to the answer we received during my interview day.

As for the second part, I suppose it's up to the individual student, but with Mac's 11 month schedule, I'd want to graduate in three years rather than four.

Thanks Parkourparkour,

I did hear about this before... but I assume that if a Mac student were to take a 4th year then he/she has to pay another year's worth of tuition? I would imagine that it'd be in the best interested of a student to graduate sooner rather than later and spend a year doing a research fellowship if he/she didn't get matched right away.

Archived